1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English GCSE Workbook

Discussion in 'English' started by pmastrelli, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Calling all English secondary school teachers!

I am going to be tutoring a Year 10 child in September. I was wondering which English language workbook would be appropriate to buy as the new curriculum for GCSE has now started? She is going to be doing the higher level and it is AQA exam board.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Er, you don't need a workbook. You need to download the spec, sample assessments and mark schemes, exemplars and anything else you can find. Then you need to teach the skills necessary to match the criteria. Start with some writing tasks, and teach adapting writing for purpose and audience, crafting sentences, improving technical accuracy and so on. Make your own resources - let the teacher use the AQA ones in class. If you look at them, you'll get the idea of what you need to teach.

3. CagedBird

CagedBird New commenter

You should also know that there is no "higher level" in the new spec. One level of paper - no tiers. You really do need to look in detail at the spec and the specimen papers as there are lots of differences to current specifications.

4. Thank you for this - I will look into the schemes.

5. jaimexuk

jaimexuk New commenter

AQA have a list of approved textbooks for the new spec www.aqa.org.uk/.../textbooks

I've had most of them and like the OUP the most as it is in themed chapters, which lends itself well to planning.

Cambridge and Collins both do a basic and higher level book, and I prefer the Cambridge Progress Plus book.