1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English GCSE Speaking Score

Discussion in 'English' started by Kyushu, Aug 23, 2011.

1. When I was a GCSE student (1993) we assigned a speaking grade or score alongside our usual ABCDEFG grade. I vaguely remember conducting a speech in front of my class which led to this score, that also appeared on my GCSE certificate (which I can no longer find!).

I am currently doing research on the assessment of speaking (in EFL), and this grade is beginning to make more and more sense to me, as some students may excel in written communication, and grammar, but perform terribly when speaking.

If anyone has any memories of using this grade as a teacher, or any recollection of the scoring criteria etc I would be most grateful.

Ultimately I would like to find some papers that discussed the need for this grade and the reason it seems it was abandoned!

Thanks for any help anybody can offer.

2. Speaking and listening is part of the assessment process. A number of Controlled Assessments (the replacement for coursework) are speaking and listening ones.

3. Yes, thanks!

I will look up the "Controlled Assessments". I used to teach English using the National Curriculum in the UK, but have lived in Japan for the past 9 years and am out of touch a little.

But what I was more interested in was the dual grade, distinguishing speaking from the rest of English, not just in terms of Speaking, Listening, Reading and Writing, but also the final grade at the end. So you ended up with two grades - an ABCDE and then also a number - I think it was from 1-5. As though they were two separate dimensions of language ability, rather than one dimension with all 4 RWSL mixed in.

So I'd like to read more about the rationale for dividing those two grades, as opposed to now, where you get a single grade ABCDEFG.

4. It would be helpful if you could remember the board you sat. I cannot remember a GCSE like this and I have been teaching since the GCSE was created (eek!) but obvioulsy I have not taught all boards. I have a dim memory that the IGCSE might have had this. The reason is as you describe - there can be a big difference in ability between writing/ reading skills and verbal ones.

5. I took my English GCSE in 2000 with the then NEAB which became AQA. I remember being given a speaking grade (I still have the exam result slip) but I don't ever recall doing speeches or drama like students do these days. As far as I can recall it was a grade issued to us by our English teacher based on oral responses and contributions during the course.

6. The exam board was WJEC. I trie contacting them directly, but they didn't reply.

What I'd rally like is a paper that discusses the need (or not) for a separate speaking grade.

7. No surprise there then. Give them a month and you might just hear something