1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English GCSE resit - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'English' started by MrsDaddy, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am a trainee post-16 teacher doing my PGCE PCET and have been thrown in at the deep end! I have a class of 29 (!!) GCSE resit students who are a nightmare to teach. I have to give a lesson on narrative on Wednesday and am really struggling with how/what to do in the lesson. I was planning to use one of Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected with them but seem to have hit a total mental block while trying to plan the lesson. It is an hour and a half long and they need to be thinking about how effective narrative is constructed. Any links or advice gratefully received!

2. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

You could try giving them a short story with the paragraphs cut up separately and they have to work in pairs or groups to sequence it. Give the first and last paras for differentiation or part way through if they are struggling.
    Matching opening and closing paras or sentences from a few stories or novels is another way for them to think about circular structure.
    Look at narrative hooks.
    Let them write a collaborative story in a "consequences" style activity.
    Good luck

3. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

Similar to Regents reply. Find a selection of openings for narrative stories, identify techniques used and effectiveness. Students then use these as a structure to try their own. Evaluate which they feel comfortable doing, which fits in with what they want to write about. If they are a noisy class and hard to settle get them moving around the room so each table has a different opening that they work on.