1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Functional skills

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by millypad1980, Aug 22, 2020.

1. millypad1980

millypad1980 New commenter

Hi, any info on the following would be really appreciated .

I’m a secondary school English teacher and have been asked to privately tutor a student for English Functional Skills. Is Level 2 graded or is just a pass or fail? If it’s the latter, is a ‘pass’ equivalent to a particular GCSE grade?

I’ve searched for info online and although I have lots of past papers and resources, I can’t find a definitive answer to my question above.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

Level 2 is simple pass / fail.

Equivalent of old grade E or D - not a C.

3. HelenPearce35

HelenPearce35 New commenter

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

this Gov.uk site suggests a pass at Level 2 is equivalent to a C at GCSE.
    But functional skills are pass/fail.
    Reading/ writing and speaking and listening element. Functional skills providers differ but not dramatically from what I've looked at.
    I deliver City and Guilds FS and it's pretty straight forward.
    Make sure you are looking at the correct spec as some providers have introduced reformed quals.

4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

This is a common misreading of the guidance, but mostly I think because it used to be true.

What this updated guidance says is that there are types of qualifications at different levels, so in broad terms yes Level 2 is in the same tier as GCSE.

However, other legislation also applies. The law requires pupils to resit English and Maths until they acquire a GCSE pass or turn 19, and passing functional skills level 2 does exempt them from this. So they are not equivalent qualifications.

If they pass level2 Functional Skills in literacy or numeracy, they are expected, and colleges/schools are required, to enrol them in to GCSE classes afterwards.