1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English exam prep tuition

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Skippy17, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Skippy17

Skippy17 New commenter

Hi all. I'm new to posting, though I've been hovering on the forums for some time.

I'm just moving into private tuition - some of it via a company and some it self-employed. I've previously taught the AQA spec and examined the OCR spec for English Language, but now I'm being required to tutor the Edexcel spec. It doesn't LOOK wildly different from the others, but I wondered if anyone more experience might know of any stumbling blocks or key differences between the specs? Thanks in advance.

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I can't offer any specific advice as I tutor maths and science. Based on that, the specifications of the new 9-1 GCSEs are almost identical for the different exam boards. However, the way they interpret the spec and the type of exam questions can be different. The best thing would be to go through past exam papers and specimen papers for Edexcel to see the type of questions they ask.

never_expect_anything likes this.
  3. louisee9

louisee9 New commenter

As the previous poster says, of course the spec is the same for Edexcel as the other boards but in Paper 2 in particular it does present itself quite differently. There are a lot more questions on the two texts separately for example, with 8 questions in the reading section instead of four. They have also been tweaking the questions quite a lot year on year since they changed to 9-1 so you do need to be a bit more careful with past papers. However if you have a look over them and identify the skill being tested it does come out the same as AQA and OCR.

never_expect_anything likes this.