1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Curriculum Map for EBD SEN school

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by MissBee741, May 30, 2018.

1. MissBee741

MissBee741 New commenter

Hi there :)

I've recently been appointed the English subject co-ordinator for my school. We are a small, independent provision focusing on the social and emotional development of our students. Ages range from 5 up to 16.

As part of my new role I need to produce an English curriculum map. However, although our students are grouped in Key Stages (1 class for KS1, 1 for KS2, 2 for KS3 and 2 for KS4) they have a wide range of needs and thus are not always able to access academic work that corresponds to mainstream children in the same Key Stage.

Does anyone have any advice or pointers as to how to organise this please? The two KS4 pathways are English Language GCSE and Functional Skills English Levels 1 and 2.

Thanks in advance x

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

How about mapping the potential route(s) for learning English within the provision, and then mapping the students to that? Rather than creating 'age appropriate' english routes which may not apply, it seems to make sense to have a map which allows you to assess progress from starting point rather than age.

I don't know if it is teachable for your provision though, as you may have to have vertical teaching groups (mixed ages) or classes of 1 or 2 to make it work!

3. MissBee741

MissBee741 New commenter

Hi Flanks!
    That does make sense yes - I'm pretty visual so I was thinking of having colours/lines showing the different routes. Our students are very diverse. Maximum number of students in a class is 6... but within each class there is a lot of variation in terms of their learning ages even though their chronological ages are similar.

4. Flanks

If you have sufficient support in the class you could teach in a workshop style where they all have similar thematic content but differentiated work on the topic to complete.

In my opinion, establishing progress depends on solid base lining so you can accurately measure distance travelled. A lot of students are done great disservice by the general trend to always show targets being met.

The trap is where targets are based on 'content covered' rather than competency, independence and ability to generalise learning to other topics. If you are so inclined you could track those as separate measures of progress, as long as your staff are willing to be robust in assessment. Over time it should correlate to achievement pretty accurately!

5. MissBee741

MissBee741 New commenter

Hi Flanks,
    Thank you for your comment! Do you happen to know of any existing examples or templates? We have started using Classroom Monitor to assist with planning and progress which does assist content coverage but could also help with the tracking of competency, independence and ability. It's just a case of picking the commonalities between the Functional Skills and GCSE assessment objectives and making sure we have a map fit for purpose.

6. Flanks

7. countrylass00

countrylass00 New commenter

Thank you for your question is MissBee741, I am in a similar position of mapping out a new English curriculum at my SEMH school, however our class sizes are considerable smaller and almost al pupils are 1-2-1.

Thank you Flanks for the link you provided. I checked out your curriculum mapping information for KS3/4. This is what we desperately need to work towards setting out. May I ask what you do for Maths and English? Do you stick with mapping for ELC, Functional Skills, GCSEs?

Many thanks.