1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English curriculum guides and material for homeschooling abroad

Discussion in 'English' started by schwaiger, Mar 15, 2016.

1. schwaiger

schwaiger New commenter

Hi
    I'm looking for some help in structuring English lessons for my kids. They were in the first quarter of Reception and Year 2 when we left the UK over a year ago, and apart from keeping up with reading, they have done nothing further in English as both are in local school/childcare and learning German.

I would like to keep them on track with spelling/grammar/comprehension/writing skills but not sure how to go about it so that there are not too many gaps. Although my nearly 6 year old can read chapter books, she has no idea of how to spell words and usually spells them incorrectly. I have heard of Tic Tac Toe as a great resource. I try BBC online games and some workbooks , but I feel I am missing the core structure. I am a trained English teacher with most experience in adult EFL , but not used to teaching kids and basic literacy from scratch ( think Phonics revision will be necessary!).

Any help at all! The homeschool sites I have come across are not as organized as I'd like and often rather bible based.

2. TrellB76

TrellB76 New commenter

Reading English books is the most invaluable resource for learning to write/spell/grammar comprehension!

So, if others can advise on the structure you require - then ensure as much fun story reading as possible.

3. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

4. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

You might try your luck on the International forum. Also, there are tons of packaged homeschooling programs out there - more from the US than from the UK, but a Google search should throw up many results.

Good luck with it.

5. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter