1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Controlled Assessment...HELP! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'English' started by drewbrown1982, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I have the C/D borderline group for our year 11 (and 10!) groups.I'm sure you know the type: unenthused, apathetic, generally not fussed. The majority of the class consistently work (when working well) at a D level, and never seem to be able to push themselves into the next band.
    With deadlines looming and the painful controlled assessments still below grade, does anyone have any suggestions how I can get my students to the C that they need? New controlled assessment requirements make it so difficult to be able to support this type of student and everything I try is both time consuming and largely futile!
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

We just redid a CA - new teaching, new task. The vast majority got the same or thereabouts - so I wouldn't bother with that!
    Lots and lots and lots of exam practice is what I'll be doing. A timed essay every week, mostly in exam conditions. Soul destroying and MASSES of marking, but it's all I can think of :-(