1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English common entrance 13+

Discussion in 'Independent' started by msv, Jan 11, 2012.

1. msv

msv New commenter

Hi all,
    i'm starting to tutor somone for English and they have their exam in Feb.
    I wondered where the best place was for me to get 13+ exam papers WITH markschemes?
    Thank you.

2. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

I tried to do this for MFL a few years ago, to use for practice with my KS3 pupils, as I no longer work in a prep school. The only site I could find wanted to charge a considerable amount per paper (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking), so to obtain just one term's worth of papers (1 copy of each) would have cost me about £15 + postage. I abandoned the idea. And I can't remember what the site was called, but it might have been through ISEB. I wish you better luck than I had!

3. I don't think the board release them. But Galore Park do very good books full of practice texts/questions/tasks that are very like the CE paper itself. The exam is pretty bizarre tbh so it's quite hard to teach to the test.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

You cannot. It's very important to realise that every senior school writes its own markscheme for the current year's CE papers and chooses its own pass mark. There is no standardisation of CE and no common marksheme.
    This makes things particularly difficult for someone new to tutoring, such as yourself. To be honest, you need to speak to those who mark the English papers in your pupil's first-choice school in order to ask what it is they particularly look for. In English, this could be correct spelling, punctuation and grammar, with little weight given to creative ideas - while another school might place creativity above SPG, and a third might rate them equally. Sorry to say, there is no universal rule - you really will need to spy out the lie of the land.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

All the CE subjects come with marking guidelines, but they are a guide not something that has to be followed. Also to add to the mix, a child might score 75% and be awarded an A grade, but 75% at another school might be a B grade!

Past papers can be purchased via galore park, you can buy any papers other than the most current paper as this is kept back from common resale so that schools that wish to use in internally don't find that their children have already done it at home!