1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English cider, apples, and consumption 2020

Discussion in 'Personal' started by armandine2, Sep 25, 2020.

1. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

upload_2020-9-25_12-53-44.png

They say we're not been drinking enough cider this year - and the poor growing year for apples has not offset the lack of demand. My bottle of Chaplin and Cork's tasted pretty good last night, wouldn't want to see the demise of the cider makers.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sadly I used to enjoy a pint or two of Cider but a few years back my digestive system decided that it no longer liked it. Just one mouthful is enough to give me tremendous indigestion/heartburn. Tried pear cider and that did the same. Even alcoholic ginger beer has the same effect (but weirdly non alcoholic doesn't). I can also drink apple juice without ill effect! Go figure.

3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I think the main problem is for the small cider makers who rely on supplying pubs with draught cider rather than the larger makers who bottle or can it.

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Same here, blazer. Tbh, I went right off it when I was pregnant 38 years ago but occasionally had a glass if we were in Cider Country. The last few times it has given me hellish heartburn unrelated to the quantity consumed so I've not drunk it for years now.

5. armandine2

as a fruit I guess apples are a little limited on the preserving front - apart from cider?

6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I thought this was a new problem caused by restrictions on pubs due to covid, but a quick internet search shows the cider apple oversupply problem has been going on for several years

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yet, judging by the pubs and shops Cider has never been so popular.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Is that a variation of Magners?

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

Marketing directed at millenials.

10. armandine2

I see the firm is based in Dublin - but Somerset gets the apples credit