1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Baccalaureate - Please explain!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by katiewest1973, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I'm struggling with this concept. I am not (yet) a teacher, and am probably being naive, but how does this fit with children with SEN, who's only chance of getting a GCSE is through a vocational subject? I understand the argument that the current 5 A-C's equivalent inc English and maths may encourage schools to put students though the easiest exams to increase value in league tables, but what I don't understand is how this change is going to benefit those whose ability does not lay in academia? Can someone please xplain, because I'm sure I'm missing the point [​IMG]

2. I'm struggling with this concept. I am not (yet) a teacher, and am probably being naive, but how does this fit with children with SEN, who's only chance of getting a GCSE is through a vocational subject? I understand the argument that the current 5 A-C's equivalent inc English and maths may encourage schools to put students though the easiest exams to increase value in league tables, but what I don't understand is how this change is going to benefit those whose ability does not lay in academia? Can someone please xplain, because I'm sure I'm missing the point [​IMG]

3. DM

DM New commenter

The Ebac is not suitable for EVERY child and it would be highly unlikely that a very weak child would be forced or even encouraged to study for it. What would be the point in twisting arms if the children could not possibly succeed?

4. I would recommend a more vocational subject. The English Baccalaureate is mainly for academic students wanting to go to university.
    Has he considered studying at university level?