1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English Bacc

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Mar 3, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

According to an email I've just received from AQA, new spec English Language will qualify from 2012 (no mention of Lit) and old spec this year.
    Two thoughts occur to me:
    • Will a Shakespeare play have to become compulsory for Language?
    • What happens to schools entering pupils for the new spec in June?

2. gruoch

According to an email I've just received from AQA, new spec English Language will qualify from 2012 (no mention of Lit) and old spec this year.
    Two thoughts occur to me:
    • Will a Shakespeare play have to become compulsory for Language?
    • What happens to schools entering pupils for the new spec in June?

3. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Students entered for new spec in June will get their results as normal but they will not receive their actual certificate until 2012. Lit is in the same position.
    No because students who do English Language must also do English LIterature, which covers Shakespeare. Shakespeare is already a required component of stand-alone English.

4. gruoch

I know about English, RR, but the AQA email very definitely specified English Language alone will be OK for the Ebacc.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Is that because there is no requirement to do Lit for the EBacc? It seems that either GCSE qualification - English or English Lang (and, maybe the IGCSE English) can count, but if you enter students for English Lang, you must enter them for Lit. They could miss every Lit lesson and get a G for it but, so long as they are entered for both GCSEs, the English Language (sans Shakespeare) will count for the EBacc if it's A*-C. That's how it looks on the website.

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

The way I interpret this is that either new spec English or English Language will be acceptable as entitlement in the new Ebacc (at Grade C or above of course). Literature does not form part of the Ebacc but this does not preclude the need for students to enter for both English Language and English Literature, in order to cover the NC programmes of study. It would not be possible to change the English Language specification to include a compulsory Shakespeare element so this must be covered by students also entering for Literature.

7. Clear as muck...as usual!
    When reading the e-mail I had visions of SMTs across the country opting for compusory MFL Lit altogether arguing that Bacc is more valuable than another -equally challenging- GCSE.
    Is this the death knell for literature?

8. Yes spatel, I fear it is.

9. Basilius: What are we going to do?
    Realise my last post wasn't clear (gremlins).
    What I meant was SMTs up and down country scrapping lit in favour of compulsory MFL/ other 'bacc' subject to allow students to qualify for bacc award.
    Oh dear, how very grim...[​IMG]