1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English APP in International Schools?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by fedup2012, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Anyone else trying to use the APP (Assessing Pupil's Progress) which is an English gvt initiative in an international school? We are using it for writing, with a view to extending it to maths at some stage.
    Our Head (new UK) is trying to make it work in our UK-curric school in Asia, 60% of children not English mother-tongue.
    Teachers are a very mixed bunch with some recent UK, most been international a long time or from other English-speaking countries. So not many have actually used it in the UK. Training has been..... sparse.
    Is this now common in British curriculum schools internationally? Should it be? or is it just a waste of time? From a chalk-face point of view it is incredibly time-consuming and frustrating. I have also heard that they have basically scrapped it in the UK in any case........
    Apologies, writing on chrome :)

2. Anyone else trying to use the APP (Assessing Pupil's Progress) which is an English gvt initiative in an international school? We are using it for writing, with a view to extending it to maths at some stage.
    Our Head (new UK) is trying to make it work in our UK-curric school in Asia, 60% of children not English mother-tongue.
    Teachers are a very mixed bunch with some recent UK, most been international a long time or from other English-speaking countries. So not many have actually used it in the UK. Training has been..... sparse.
    Is this now common in British curriculum schools internationally? Should it be? or is it just a waste of time? From a chalk-face point of view it is incredibly time-consuming and frustrating. I have also heard that they have basically scrapped it in the UK in any case........
    Apologies, writing on chrome :)

3. We are using it - International school following British based curriculum in Abu Dhabi UAE, we use it for reading, writing, maths, science and ICT. Have a programme online for all pupils in these subjects and have to keep paper copy for 3 pupils as evidence. Good for data online but otherwise waste of time, we only do files when we know they are going to be looked at or we have an inspection due! Just my opinion but hate it and is not worthwhile!! XX

4. We're currently using it for writing - introduced last year, re-introduced properly with appropriate training this year.
    I like it. I liked it when doing it in the UK too. It really depends on how you are being asked to use it and the amount of support that is provided.
    Having spoken to my friends who are in the UK, they are all still using it. I know that some LEAs have chosen to go a different way but many of these did not fully implement it in the first place. It is going to end up being especially important in writing this year with the removal of the writing test at the end of Year 6.