1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English and Maths delivery model

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by MegnMog, Jun 30, 2016.

1. MegnMog

MegnMog New commenter

We're having a new model of English and maths delivery introduced at our college. Teaching time for GCSE and Functional Skills is being halved, with the remainder of the study time as coach-guided or independent computer based learning. Does anyone have any experience of similar models?
    I have two concerns. One is that I don't fully understand how it will work, and am having to re-apply for my job as teacher, coach or a mixture without really understanding what I'm applying for. The second is we've been presented with this 'exciting' new model with very little information and I'm trying to anticipate possible problems so I'm prepared for them when they arise. One obvious one is students opting for self-taught sessions not doing the work. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

Will students actually be able to choose from either taught sessions or online/self study? As you say, I would have serious misgivings about this.

PipLaw likes this.
  3. MegnMog

MegnMog New commenter

Yes,students will be able to choose - I assume a combination would be advisable for most of them and they should make this decision in conjunction with a teacher, but it's unclear. Have you come across anything similar?

4. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I forecast that you will have a very low pass rate and would advise looking for a job elsewhere.

PipLaw likes this.
  5. crockedpot

crockedpot New commenter

HI
    I don't have any experience of the model you describe but I teach mandatory GCSE English and know how difficult it is to get students to do any self study/homework at all so would be extremely surprised to find all these motivated learners happy to hop on board! I am surprised as the focus on English and Maths is so great that surely reducing the amount of contact hours the learners will be getting is massively counter productive? At our college, the opposite is true - we are increasing the number of hours and reducing vocational teaching.

PipLaw likes this.
  6. vonny600

vonny600 New commenter

Unfortunately yes. The students I worked with mostly bunked the online sessions. The teaching team predicted this would happen as many of the learners lacked motivation & independent study skills. It's a cost-cutting exercise as supervised study sessions cheaper to staff than lessons with qualified lecturer - the learners are the ones that pay the price though with their poor results! The college I worked for only trialled it for one year and then dropped it but never reinstated the full lesson time so delivery became just 2hrs p/w.

7. MegnMog

MegnMog New commenter

Thank you for all your thoughts. Sorry it's taken so long to reply. We're about to start teaching properly after assessments, so we'll see how it'll work. I'm optimistic ( what else can you be without going mad?).

8. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Look forward to your visit from OFSTED. I am sure they will be delighted. Your results will be reflected on the amount of work the students have done. i.e. dreadful. Who is going to explain all of this to OFSTED?

PipLaw likes this.
  9. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Plus online teaching is NOT teaching. Anyone can say 'log on to and complete this module'. No differentiation (other than level). No care or concern for students. No chance for the students to mix with others and take part in presentations.
    Why pay for a qualified teacher?
    Oh Brave New World! Let a computer teach them about that-yes I did discuss Huxley on my courses!

PipLaw likes this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If Ofsted was made up of actual teachers who know what things should be like...

11. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

And I had students who initially couldn't even read going on to read such literature-and some even went on to do English at higher levels/became TAs and eventually English teachers. I'm not saying that makes me unusual. That's the kind of thing that teachers can do. I didn't just enable them to get the qualification, though I don't think ANY of mine would have done this with an online course!