1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English and drama NQT

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by needles-and-pins, Jul 20, 2017.

1. needles-and-pins

needles-and-pins New commenter

Hi all,

I'm about to start my NQT after doing a SCITT as an English trainee. I'm moving to a brand new school (only year 7 and 8) and after expressing interest in teaching drama during the interview I am now THE drama teacher at the school.

I'm really excited, and think I'll prefer drama to English however as an NQT, whose only experience is picking up a few drama lessons to help out, I'm concerned I know very little about teaching the subject.

I'm looking for any advice on good PGCE-level books/blogs to fill in the gaps I will have missed by having not trained in drama. I'm sure I'll be fine, but may as well put this summer to good use. We will only have KS3 at the school for the next two years.

Thanks in advance :)

2. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Spend some time thinking about Behaviour Management Strategies for an open space such as a drama studio vs. The classroom.

Good Luck :)

3. t3wbaca2

t3wbaca2 New commenter

I'm a Drama teacher who has had to teach English is the past. The main advice I have is to make sure that your lessons are challenging enough. The worst possible situation for a KS3 Drama lesson is where students find it too easy. If you can getting them to look at challenging stimuli, making them really think then you will have absolutely no problem at all. Students absolutely love Drama at our school and I'm sure you will find it the same at your one!

If you want any help at all, please feel free to get in touch!