1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

English advice for KS3

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by MrsBee4812, Dec 29, 2016.

1. MrsBee4812

MrsBee4812 New commenter

hi,

I'm starting my new role next week, which is teaching a KS3 class of MLD students. Im so excited but also a bit overwhelmed as to where to start. I've got examples of the children's writing and according to their assessments they range between p8 and 1c writers. I'm having a go at planning an overview of English lessons for the half term. I've been asked to teach imaginary settings, could anyone please recommend any good texts as inspiration? I'm planning on using a lot of role play and videos etc from The Literacy Shed, but I've been asked to read a whole text over time.

Any ideas/ help would be greatly received.

Thanks!!!

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Hunger games? Harry Potter? Artimis Fowl? Discworld? Or look at local myths and legends (especially the other world stories - the fairy stories for grown ups about the time between times ghosts and invaders?)

3. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

Good lord, at that level of writing I'm not sure you'd be looking at complex texts like that! Have you tried the Barrington Stoke series?
    Fairy tales etc are usually good because they are often already familiar with the story.

4. JulesDaulby

JulesDaulby Occasional commenter

Hi there,

I created a very successful scheme of work years ago for an English group with MLD in FE.

I used the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. While reading the novel, students wrote a creative piece of writing with similar prompts alongside our reading. First we walked round the college grounds and each student thought about portals they could use to replace the wardrobe. We then began to include a person who at first seems kind but then shows their true colours etc. It worked really well and I used the films to analyse key scenes in the story and how to present characters etc.

The portals allowed them to follow their own interests to a certain extent e.g. one student used a laptop screen and another a racing car bonnet!

You might feel the book is a little young but I justified it as writing for children which allowed them to pitch their creative writing to a younger audience while being able to analyse TLWW without feeling patronised. There is an old film version of TLWW which is interesting to watch and compare with the more contemporary film.

Hope this helps.

Jules

5. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

err... maybe I'm doing something wrong. I use them with students working from P5 through to level 1 - reading to them and using film clips - for inspiration.

6. MrsBee4812

MrsBee4812 New commenter

Thank you all for your ideas! I've started with clips/ extracts from James and The Giant Peach, TLWW, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter, 13 Storey Treehouse etc. We've used role play to explore imaginary settings/ characters.
    Thanks for recommending Barrington Stoke @Urbanfaerie, I've just had a nosey and it looks fab!
    At their level, I don't think we'll be deconstructing and analysing the complex texts of Harry Potter etc. But as inspiration (as most have seen the movie adaptations), they're great. The children seem really eager so far ;)

Thanks again guys, it's all a bit overwhelming sometimes starting from scratch. :confused:

JulesDaulby and Urbanfaerie like this.