1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“England’s schools face ‘severe’ teacher shortage...”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Grandsire, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Two years ago they did. Now they’re getting desperate. I’m a tutor now after decides in the classroom. I actually never really stopped teaching, just that now I’m independent. I’m block booked up to November already. I’m getting far more enquiries through the website and the parents are realising that to get their kids through the eleven plus, they need start even earlier. Yes, it’s a broken system, but it pays my bills and I do improve the kids’ chances and performances.

Jamvic and JohnJCazorla like this.
  2. Mrsmumbles

They should just bin OFSTED, as if they did, more teachers who just wanted to teach would stay in and there do be little need for overvalued and overpaid SLT gimps. Ooh look, I’ve just found an extra 750 grand of budget. Per month!

3. Mrsmumbles

Why not indeed!

woollani and agathamorse like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Here's what I get, this is a screenshot:

View attachment 25160 [/QUOTE]
    Simultaneously hilarious and tragic. Half my former colleages are in here!

5. Mrsmumbles

They’re using cover supervisors, supply staff and forcing exisiting staff to do more unpaid hours to mask out the true extent of the carnage.

woollani, agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Simultaneously hilarious and tragic. Half my former colleages are in here![/QUOTE]

If I use the link I get this:

upload_2018-8-31_8-8-13.png

I guess I don't get the ad as I use an ad blocker! :D

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most of the schools in my county advertise on the site that does the county teacher payroll.

Our new HT said just before the end of last year that they wouldn't be putting any more ads in the TES as it just wasn't worth it.

8. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

A few hundred quid a week extra after tax isn’t going to inspire teachers either to stay in teaching or work in sh77 schools. 5 years after the initial workload survey, nothing, zero has been done to stop teachers working stupid hours doing stupid tasks, except the setting up of endless talking shops and the production of pamphlets that teach granny how to suck eggs.

Classes have got much bigger, behaviour has gotten much, much worse, headteachers earn in the hundreds of thousands as teachers real salaries have been cut, and the way pensions are structured means older teachers would be bonkers to return to work as their actual pensions would likely go down. Add to that that if you live in many areas, even affording the rent is a serious problem let alone buying somewhere.

We should stop foreign nationals buying property like many countries do. We should tax to high heaven any foreigner owning property here. Everyone should be limited to owning only one house on pain of hellish yearly taxes. There is only so much housing stock and so much capacity so it is not a free market.

Heads should have their income capped at twice the average salary of teachers at their school.

Grammars should be disbanded unless they take 60% free school meals pupils.

Independent schools should be taxed mercilessly unless they have a serious drive to help the most disadvantaged students.

All schools should be centralised and accountable to local areas.

VOTE ME FOR PRESIDENT!

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Is this list compatible with a democracy? I suspect not...

SomethingWicked likes this.
  10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Simply that the shortage myth does not stack up. The Govt's RTT and TSST programmes seem to be a Potemkin's Village: either the courses are cancelled through lack of numbers, or so oversubscribed, they have waiting lists: strange if there is a shortage of people wishing to return to teaching! My cynicism as to these schemes is deepened when candidates frustrated by the wait are channelled towards courses by private providers, for which they would have to pay handsomely.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Moony, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

It is the same for science in NW London. Even if not all jobs are advertised in readily accessible forums, when you scratch many of them they turn out to be unpaid, or rebranded as something else ('learning facilitator', etc.) and paid miserably. Some even offer hourly pay, contact time only.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    agathamorse likes this.
  14. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'm not sure what they are suggesting.

Are they suggesting maths and physics graduates should be paid more? This might make schools less likely to employ them, if they could put a cheaper teacher with an irrelevant degree in front of the class.

Or are they suggesting teachers should be paid more to teach maths or physics, regardless of their degree? This would probably lead to more teachers without a relevant degree applying to teach them as they would be paid more.

Neither seems to solve the problem.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

My search was within a 50 mile radius, so it would include the whole of London, down to the south coast and north as far as Cambridge.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

The secret of it all is that you don't tell others this truth and therefore, ignorant as the newcomers are, they are drawn into teaching before they realize, hmmmmm Unfortunately for them, they don't fool those who are on the job! I do remember, years ago, when teachers in Canada were much higher paid than in England. I don't know if this is still true. I took a 2 month summer school and earned as much as teaching here for a year. It was enough for a deposit on a small flat when I returned. I think those days have gone though.

phlogiston, install and agathamorse like this.
  17. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Its already happening with performance management.

Its possible to both do the same job but for one person to get progression and the other one didnt because they may have failed a book scrutiny or they may have had a target such as your students will achieve their target grades in accordance with FFT aspire or a progress 8 score of at least zero.

This is quite a good one as its near impossible with some groups to achieve and if you want to stop pay progression give them that target and the ones you want to progress give them achievable targets. As they are confidential its impossible to compare and know this is happening.

A brilliant target ive had a few times was design and develop resources for KS4 and 3 students. Its very subjective as to if its achieved or not.

18. Jolly_Roger15

Then there certainly is no shortage then!

19. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

But this has often happened in the past for hard to recruit subjects.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Schools have been able to offer enhanced salaries or higher points on the pay spine for many years to attract teachers in shortage subjects. How many do that? I would have thought that since the advent of PRP it would also be much easier to rewards teachers you need to keep hold of, again how many schools do this?

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.