1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“England’s schools face ‘severe’ teacher shortage...”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Grandsire, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45341734

Nothing you didn’t already know, but apparently, in some areas, just 17% of physics teachers have a relevant degree.

The government response is equally predictable:

"The education secretary has been clear that there are no great schools without great teachers and his top priority is to make sure teaching remains an attractive and fulfilling profession," said a Department for Education spokeswoman.

The BBC report that the increase in teachers' pay - of up to 3.5% - “has received a mixed welcome. It was the biggest rise of recent years, but the Institute for Fiscal studies showed that 60% of staff would be getting below inflation pay settlements.”

Yeah, that’ll work.

Actually, the less-than-inflation 2% I’m entitled to, if I get it (because I work in an academy, my head doesn’t have to bother) will be the biggest pay rise in nearly a decade.

Sheesh. Is this even news any more?

damia69, Mrsmumbles, chelsea2 and 7 others like this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

What I particularly enjoyed is that the minister did not even acknowledge any of the findings of the report.
    He actually tried to spin the latest below-inflation payrise as an incentive for teachers to stay or join teaching.

I would love to see evidence that an increasing number of teachers are returning to teaching.

damia69, chelsea2, stonerose and 4 others like this.
  3. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Of course, a look at some of the other forums will clearly demonstrate that schools are resolutely refusing to employ many older, highly capable, and experienced teachers. SLT only want the cheapest of the cheap, who must also be exceedingly eager to please them.

Then we have these idiots alienating good chemistry and physics teachers by insisting that they teach sciences that are not their specialty: especially biology. In my nephew's school the complete ****** that run it were extremely lucky to get hold of a good chemistry teacher. Believe it or not these idiots have her teaching psychology!

Is it really any wonder that UK schools are without the teachers they need? And (rhetorical question) have the government and schools looked at Canada, which has a large excess of teachers.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

The problem is, for politicians, that they want to wave a quick wand and fix the issue. And they can't. Decades of morale-sapping policies, poor pay, appalling workloads, public blaming and badly run schools mean there is at least a whole generation of younger people who don't see teaching as a career. Add that to the changed pattern of work these days (no more jobs for life) and you have a perfect storm.
    I don't know how it can be fixed, but this 3.5% nonsense is a poor start.

Alice K, stonerose, a1976 and 5 others like this.
  5. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

The problem is also that the Great British public is convinced that there is an alternative teaching workforce out there (ex Army people, Now Teach type of people etc.) ready to plug the many gaps and solve this perennial problem. There isn't of course but governments do a good job of pretending that yep, the media and the public are right, there is a magical hidden army of people ready to replace the "blob" and teach for 30 years+ and that it's just a question of finding it.

damia69, Alice K, tonymars and 3 others like this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'll be moving on next year - looks like it won't be too difficult to find another position.

I hear rumours a school I'm really interested in is looking for a Science teacher

JL48 and Moony like this.
  7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Why would my science graduate sons leave their nice well paid jobs, which end at five, with flexible hours, with free all kinds of things in their comfortable offices, to work in a school with all the attendant misery, pressure, inflexibility, archaic working practices and so on? The government has no clue about how to fix this problem, especially as they don't really want to spend the money that would be needed to make teaching hours resemble a normal job.

Babycakes77, damia69, Moony and 11 others like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As @David Getling said, schools have got rid of most of the well-qualified, experienced teachers (for which read 'expensive') and the reservoir of gullible dupes to replace them is running low.

Babycakes77, damia69, Alice K and 8 others like this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Good luck with a new job. Let's hope you're not one of those denied work because you're too expensive.

agathamorse, stonerose and phlogiston like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm not too expensive

Shedman likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not news... but worth repeating over and over and over...

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is that really the case? Is there such a thing as a teacher who is "too expensive"?

Or is that a BS line put out by management to negotiate pay down?

(Not meaning you are spouting BS... i've said it myself when I try to justify 8 years on M6)

Moony, agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am extremely cynical of this supposed general shortage of teachers. This cynicism extends to the 'measures' the Govt. is taking to encourage qualified teachers to return to teaching. How come when you apply for RTT and TSST courses they either do not run, due to shortage of applicants, or they are massively oversubscribed, the advised to try one of the private providers?

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  14. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

This is exactly how I explain to many of my students why their schools are stuffed to the gills with teachers who really don't know their stuff. When it comes to STEM you have either got to be a dedicated masochist or truly desperate (too useless to get a decent job) to consider teaching in the UK.

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  15. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

Note sure I understand the nature of your cynicism. If you believe that the teacher shortage is a deliberately engineered situation so that the govt can employ their pals at Pearson to deliver online courses as a solution then I agree with you.

16. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

That's what you say ;)

17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

18. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

Worried for my daughter about to start studying her combined science GCSE - she doesn't enjoy it or find it easy , so the need for a good teacher is imperative :(

phlogiston likes this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

20. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

Some easy fixes needn't cost any money at all - or might even save money. Massively stream-lining Ofsted so it didn't generate excess workload for everyone for example, or reducing the need for teachers to produce mountains of 'evidence' each year to show that they are meeting their performance management targets. To me, these things create stress and reduce morale - which is the reason why I would leave teaching if I could afford to do so. The pay - while not fantastic - is enough to live comfortably on in my area of the country (south but not London).