1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

England’s contact tracers 'making handful of calls' a month

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 5, 2020.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Research into the spread of SARS-CoV-2 does not support your belief.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

:rolleyes:

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Always the consensus.

You choose yours, going for the outliers. Mr Heneghan is such. He hasn't had much luck with his predictions.

The consensus among experts is that our track and trace is hopeless.

upload_2020-8-5_23-13-50.png

colpee likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The MBA title has acquired a mixed reputation in that the MBA curriculum tends to educate students in the "greed is good" direction based on various simplistic assumptions about human behaviour.[91]

A made-up qualification to stroke the ego of businesspeople.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's not entirely true. Pillar 3 serology tests look for the presence of antigens and so should pick-up asymptomatic cases (about 1.4 million such tests have been processed), and the ONS infection survey regularly tests a representative sample of 20,000 people, and this should also pick up asymptomatic cases. The NHS also run targeted asymptomatic testing of NHS and social care staff and care home residents.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Johnson has again repeated the lie about our test and trace system being world beating this afternoon.

7. gainly

gainly Star commenter

8. florian gassmann

"World beating" is a meaningless slogan, not a fact that can be either true or false.

9. florian gassmann

Looking at what he actually said ....

"It certainly does fit that description as world beating because I think I’m right in saying that we are now testing more per head of population than virtually any other country in Europe certainly"​

... he was referring only to testing, which is certainly being done at a far greater rate than most European countries. He did NOT say "test and trace", so I don't know where that came from.

The UK is testing 143 people per 1000, which I think is second only to Denmark (and possibly Russia, although their data may be suspect). Spain is on 99 per 1000, Netherlands on 63, Germany on 102, Italy on 69, France does not publish its testing data.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter