1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

England’s contact tracers 'making handful of calls' a month

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Aug 5, 2020.

1. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Depends what the targets are.

Anyway Serco are serial fiddlers of figures and dodgy finances.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Nor is it a legal requirement to give your details if asked

"While the government continues to encourage everyone to play their part to curb the virus, if a member of the public does not wish to share their contact details, it is not mandatory. For instance, if someone provides information when contacting the business, for example when booking a haircut, they can inform the organisation they do not want their details shared with NHS Test and Trace."
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...th-venues-to-help-stop-the-spread-of-covid-19

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

Shame then that the Guardian sourced its figures indirectly from Serco.

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I'm still appalled that people try to avoid the consequences of their actions by giving false information. Naive, I know, but if they don't want to self-isolate, they should eat and drink at home.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

For most people it is more likely to be a privacy thing. Not only might one not want so much data held by so many small businesses, the government has already admitted that personal data captured by the track and trace system could be sold on.

Laphroig likes this.
  6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes, by asking the employees what is really going on rather than believing any corporate waffle from Rupert Soames.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No they aren't.

It's around half.

I'll take the evidence from the stats expert who looked at its functioning, rather than the women who used to run the useless Talk Talk and who is now coining it in.

8. Scintillant

But then you have a thing about time-served experts in their field too.

You only listen to the loons who share your crackpot, conspiracy-led views...

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I think you mean the ones who feed their mouthpieces on social media with misinformnation to disseminate.

10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

You are too kind, listening requires some time spent not ranting, such opportunities are few and far between.

11. WolfPaul

So, when the BBC reports that the 50% figure does not take into account those complex cases passed on to local teams, this is wrong, is it?

..once you include the so-called complex cases passed on to local teams, incorporating council staff and regional Public Health England teams, performance rises to over three-quarters.

You do choose your "experts", don't you Mr Scintillant? What about this expert, quoted in the same article? Do you believe him? If not, why not?

This is a point made by Prof Carl Heneghan, who heads the centre for evidence-based medicine at Oxford University.

He says it is essential to adjust for tests being done and is concerned about what he calls "poor interpretation" of data.

Covid cases, he says, simply aren't rising in any meaningful sense.

And you are still, I believe, yet to comment on the opinion of David Nabarro (another expert), whom the BBC quotes as saying that Britain "will do very well".

Over to you, Mr Scintillant.

12. old_dobbin

old_dobbin Occasional commenter

Can't some people on public transport, say on the tube and buses in London, be traced easily through their oyster cards?

13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The Oyster card is just a prepaid card, it can't be linked to a particular person as anyone could use it. Even if it could be linked to a person, on the tube it would just tell which station you'd entered and exited at. It wouldn't give useful information such as who you had been close to. I think this is what the "world beating" app was meant to do. We haven't heard anything about that recently.

14. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Good question. As l was quoting a statistic you posted, why not answer it?

15. gainly

gainly Star commenter

The thing no one seems to mention is that around 75% of infected people have no symptoms or very mild symptoms. Since only those with symptoms are being tested, the vast majority of infections won't be detected no matter how good the tracing system. This can only change if there is a quick, simple and cheap test which people could take routinely, regardless of whether they have any symptoms.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. gainly

gainly Star commenter

17. WolfPaul

I was referring to the stat of less than one call per tracer, not the 75% stat which I posted. Still, I did answer my own question in the following post, thanks.

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

By way of an MBA and McKinsey and subsequent employment most likely . Johnson sacked Penrose.

19. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

And nearly all of them will have children, so if the children meet other children, the adults might as well have all met each other.
    Employers might not want workers isolating, but unless you have a small workforce in the office (etc.) relative to the size of the building, how can you keep people separate anyway? And what's the point if their kids are going to be sitting right next to/coughing and spluttering over someone else's child. Unless the next rule if for parents to make their child stay in a separate room from the rest of the family, and never be allowed to hug them!

20. Scintillant

MBA
    Lol.

Mickey mouse money spinners

Symingtons likes this.