1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

England to Scotland move - salary?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Devon Dumpling, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Devon Dumpling

Devon Dumpling New commenter

I have just moved from England (where I have 15 years' teaching experience) to Scotland.

I have heard a nasty rumour that I may have to start at the bottom of the pay scale, as I don't have experience of teaching in Scotland. Does anyone know if this is the case or not? I had rather (naively?) assumed I'd be at the top.

I've got GTCS registration.

Thanks!

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

I did the same move and also with 15 years experience at the time. I was employed on pretty much the same salary as I was in England (although pro rata as I work only 2 days a week). I asked about salary at interview but I was told it’s the council HR folk who decide at which point on the pay scale you’ll be, so maybe you could e mail the council you’re thinking of moving to and ask? I’d be surprised, assuming you have full GTCS registration, if you have to start at the bottom again. Hope the move goes well!

3. Devon Dumpling

Devon Dumpling New commenter

Thank you so much! The Head of the school I visited didn't know the answer.
    Fingers crossed.

4. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

No problem! Good luck with your job search.

5. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

We assume you will join a different Union south of the border, unless you are in the Union which represents teachers north and south of the border. Also check out your Pension. England and Scotland are separate schemes.