1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

England 3/10 NZ 5/2

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 13, 2019.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Now there's the issue of the overthrow and the six that should have been five!

I would have been happy to have joint champions but it has been mentioned that England beat NZ in the group match and that would have made a fair decider.

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

If there is (in my view) one thing about Kiwis it is you can be sure the Kiwis will accept this as part of the game.

They don't do the 'so if it was 5 we would have won' as 1) they know it might have been a different shot afterwards too and 2) as a great rugby nation they have a tradition of accepting the referee's decision is final.

I am pretty sure I read the Kiwi captain already saying they would not dream of making an issue of this. That the game was too brilliant to be whinged over and congratulations to England.

They are classy sporting opponents.

FrankWolley and peter12171 like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Now they are saying the umpires made a mistake and should only have given 5 runs for the overthrow as the batsmen had only completed one run when the ball was thrown in from the boundary!

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

With the best will in the world, mistakes will happen. Roy's dismissal in the previous game when he was well on the way to a ton, wouldn't have been allowed if Bairstow hadn't wasted the review. It's all part of the reasons why cricket is such an enjoyable game.

I'm reminded of something Michael Parkinson wrote about his early memories of cricket. The umpire gave a batsman out and as he passed the umpire on his way back to the pavillion, the batsman asked the umpire what he'd done with his guide dog. The umpire replied "I got rid of it because it wouldn't stop yapping, same as I'm doing with you."

FrankWolley and peter12171 like this.