1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

England 3/10 NZ 5/2

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 13, 2019.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think those in terms of dumbness who come top are those unable to recognise a tongue-in-the-cheek remark when they see one.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just think. If the game had only been on $ky then most of us wouldn't even know we won!

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think it would have made it as a news item.

5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Oh I don't know. The BBC seem to be pushing the Netball World cup quite hard.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

NZ must be gutted

Without the freak four overthrows off Stokes' bat, they'd be celebrating now.

The cricketing equivalent of the ball going in off the ref to win a world cup final

And winning on boundaries? Bit lame.

7. Oscillatingass

In a nation starved of international success, most England fans would settle for the win however fortuitous it was. Also the contribution of Ben Stokes was a major factor, it was truly of heroic proportions: 80 odd not out at the end of the innings having had to not only score under pressure but deal with a succession of hapless tail enders and then coming out to bat again in the extra over. I just think we should celebrate the win and not carp about the validity of it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    grumpydogwoman likes this.
  8. Scintillant

1966 and all that.

9. Oscillatingass

Sorry no idea what this means.

10. Scintillant

11. Oscillatingass

Yes, the Russian Linesman story is well known but I am struggling to see a connection between this and what happened yesterday. The umpires/match officials did not make any errors of judgement in the final stages of the game. England had "the rub of the green", there is no disputing that, but why cant we enjoy this vary rare victory instead of moaning about it?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I've been watching cricket for 63 years. I had no idea what a super-over was!

A) 50-over matches just don't end in a draw
    B) nobody has any idea what super-overs are
    C) like a super-over would end in a tie - that's just silly
    D) so, given A and B and C, nobody could ever have thought that boundaries would EVER, EVER come into it

peter12171 likes this.
  13. Oscillatingass

I 100% agree although I presume the management if not the players would have been aware of the "Super Over" rule at the start of the game if not the tournament. I would also say that looking at the tournament over all England deserved to be Champions. They also beat the Kiwis fairly easily in the group game. If you get rewarded for scoring more boundaries that has to be a good thing.

14. Scintillant

No one's moaning.

Just pointing out the luck involved with the overthrows and that the final win was on boundaries. Hurst's goal was never in. That victory has always been hollow. As a player, I would never have been happy winning like that. It's different for fans, of course.

15. Oscillatingass

As I said above, we finally won something so let us enjoy it.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Yes that's luck, so is a dropped catch. So is an outside edge that doesn't make it to a fielder but runs to the boundary. Impossible catches that stick. Being incorrectly given out when there are no reviews available and tredding in the poo left by the umpire's guide dog. It's all luck, good or bad.

Cricket has more rules than other sports, more ways to win or lose. More variations in the skills required to be outstanding and frequently more bravery required. Both teams are expected to know the rules and play accordingly. Overthrows are a consequence of poor teamwork and fielding. No team expects them to become part of their score, but if it happens and a team loses the game because of overthrows, surely they deserve to lose.

As for winning on boundaries, all teams knew from the word go, it was a possibility, so teams that choose to amass as many boundaries as possible as part of their strategy, bearing in mind that shots to the boundary are frequently risky shots to play, deserve to win on them.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So scoring with lots of 4s is better than a smaller number of 6's? If there is a tie

18. Scintillant

Off a bat? NZ didn't deserve to lose due to an incredible fluke.

I've seen the England football team pilloried as useless after losing a world cup semi final to a dubious decision, but that was like getting into extra time after the ball goes in off the ref, and then drawing but being given the game at the end as the other team had more offsides.

19. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Potentially. It all depends what the game situation is. Sometimes hitting sixes is the only way to win a game, but knocking up the runs with fours is less likely to result in getting caught. Root can be a proliffic batsman who hits plenty of fours and makes up the other runs with singles, but you rarely see him trying to hit sixes.

The biggest issue with trying to score sixes is getting the ball high enough to clear the boundary and getting enough power into the shot. A slight error in timing the shot and the ball can go anywhere at catchable height.

20. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

To my mind the only time a limited overs game should be seen as a draw or tie is when both sides have scored the same amount of runs and lost the same number of wickets in the same number of overs (I have been involved in one game that finished that way). In this situation, New Zealand would have won through losing fewer wickets. Failing that, after the super-over it should have been the number of wickets lost that decided it rather than the number of boundaries. Or they could have said there were joint winners.

Given all that, the rules gave us a win and we should be happy .