1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

England 3/10 NZ 5/2

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Right - now that's finished, why can't the commentators use Lord's any more? I now wince every time they us the phrase the 'home of cricket' it's become as bad as 'kicking the can down the road'

2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The greatest game of all time, no question. And what a sting in the tail in England's final over. Big six from Stokes, then a six including four overthrows off the back of Stokes' bat as he dived in, and people playing the game many decades had never seen that happen before. That enable England to tie and led to something I've not seen before - the superover. Buttler and Stokes scored 15 off it, before Jimmy Neesham smashed a six and four twos leading to a last ball where NZ required two to win, but a single would lead to an England win as they scored the more boundaries in their innings. Guptill was run out going for the second. Truly amazing.

3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

And the stand!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Pity they couldn't share it. That was just mental. Unreal.

peter12171 likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well that's a game they'll still be talking about in 50 years l reckon!!

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's been a long time coming. The only thing British people can honestly feel proud about since 23rd June 2016.

Maybe it's the turning point? What happens if the Johnson v Hunt vote ends as a tie? Do they have some sort of penalty shootout or superover to decide on our fortunes?

Will parliament manage to force a second referendum that results in a tie and gets decided by banging the heads together of the strongest Brexiteer politicians against those who are the strongest adherents to remain and the winner is the team with the last politician to remain conscious?

If it is, what do we have to do to ensure that the contest is available for everone to watch on terrestrial TV?

But then of course we have to wonder who among our politicians would be corageous enough to put their name forward to compete in having their head banged against the head of their foe?

Can you see Boris being up for that?

ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Not bad.

8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

If a script writer wrote that, even the home of melodrama, Hollywood, would say 'nah, that's a bit too silly'.

I don't know much about cricket apart from the basic rules but it seemed to me that chap Stokes is seriously good when under pressure - lovely little dink as he dived to get those extra runs :p

(Strange rule though - was it because it was deemed unintentional?)

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sportamanship 'rules' say that you don't run overthrows if the ball comes off you. Which he didn't but he had no control of the ball crossing the boundary and so they had to accept the extra 4. I once played in a club game where we had run three and the throw from the boundary was missed and crossed the far boundary for another 4 and so we got a 7 recorded in the scorebook.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Fabulous ..and the F1 and the tennis and now watching England v NZ Rugby Union . Feel sorry for those who don’t ‘do ‘ sport !

Jesmond12 likes this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I hope you enjoyed it, @FrankWolley. How would you describe the atmosphere of being there? Watching it on the telly, for the most part, it seemed dull in comparisson to other matches in the series.

What was the atmosphere like at the match? Was it electric, or would you say they were they cooking on gas?

12. FrankWolley

I think it would have been a lot noisier all the game if India (or Pakistan) had been playing. The first innings had its moments but was fairly quiet. However when England batted, slumped, recovered, seem to have thrown it away (twice?), then finally won - the atmosphere was electric. The tension was incredible, the emotions raw...

So maybe a slow burner with an explosive conclusion!!

Jesmond12 likes this.
  13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I guess I was right! :D:cool::eek:o_O

14. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

What an amazing roller coaster of a day. In the last two overs I was convinced England would lose just like the rugby and football teams before them. I was pondering what it could be in the English psychology that always leads to failure but today something incredible happened. Well done to the English boys and commiserations to the Black Caps who helped make the final the best there has ever been. Absolutely delighted but emotionally drained.

Lucy2711 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Congratulations to both teams - all teams. Let's hope the Ashes can go half way to matching the WC.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Let's hope that New Zealand can getmore than a two match test series next time.

17. FrankWolley

Prize for the biggest dumb ass yesterday? Stand up Mr Rees-Mogg!

Not cricket: Jacob Rees-Mogg criticised for World Cup comments
    Brexiter says England beating New Zealand shows ‘we clearly don’t need Europe to win’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/14/not-cricket-jacob-rees-mogg-criticised

Jacob Rees-Mogg has been criticised for politicising England’s victory in the Cricket World Cup after writing on social media that “we clearly don’t need Europe to win”, a comment that has attracted derision from thousands of cricketing fans eager to educate the Brexiter about the team’s international make-up.

The Conservative MP celebrated England’s dramatic victory over New Zealand in the final on Sunday by tweeting: “A d..n close run thing, we clearly don’t need Europe to win… #CricketWorldCupFinal.”

Among those who reacted to Rees-Mogg’s tweet, which received more than 3,000 comments in under an hour, was Neale Richmond, an Irish senator and the Fine Gael spokesman for European affairs, who responded: “Your captain is Irish…”

Oscillatingass likes this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Actually, Eoin Morgan has dual nationality (his mother is English) so Senator Richmond is as dumb as Rees-Mogg. :D

19. FrankWolley

If you ask Morgan what nationality he is, he'll reply 'Irish', and he represented Ireland for 6 years before using his British passport to switch allegiances to England. And it is well known he won't sing the British national anthem before games...

Had Ireland achieved Test status 10 or more years ago, I doubt Morgan would have ever represented England.

Nope, in terms of dumbness, R-M (as usual) comes top.

20. FrankWolley

Might buy my first newspaper of the day (decade?) today!

[​IMG]