1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

England 3/10 NZ 5/2

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jul 13, 2019 at 7:50 PM.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

If you had a tenner to fritter away, which team would you put your money on? The bookies reckon England will romp home, but you'll win less if you bet on England than you will if you bet on New Zealand.

I don't gamble apart from doing the lottery, which is probably the worst thing to gamble on, so I don't pretend to know what motivates gamblers to go by the odds. Is it more satisfying to be smug about winning a few quid on the safest bet, or winning a lot more by betting more recklessly?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Bookies have no opinion. The odds reflect where the punters are placing their money.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Mangleworzle likes this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I loathe gambling. It ruins lives.

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

To a degree. The bookies set the odds in the first place, which are then altered according to the money that is placed. And you never see a poor bookie!

I think it’s going to be a lot closer than those odds suggest, especially if Williamson, Taylor and Boult get going.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I won't be betting, but I will be at Lords cheering England on!:D

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's quite funny sometimes when DoY says something clearly intended to be ridiculous and gets taken seriously by Mr. finger-waggy.

8. Duke of York

How good are you at catching sixes that reach the stands? I would imagine it to be unfortunate to get clouted by an early one then have to be stretcherd off and spend the rest of the day in A@E, while the rest of us are watching the match for free on the telly with all the close up re-runs as the wickets fall and beer you can drink out of a proper glass.

I tell you something else. You can turn the sound off on the telly so you don't have to hear the racket of the moronic chanting, rubbish guitar playing and bongo drums.

If I've managed to convince you that a day spent in A&E, or spoiled by the racket going on around you, how much do you want for that ticket?

Nuuk likes this.
  9. Nuuk

Nuuk Occasional commenter

Really DoY this is Lords you are talking about. Try getting an extra can of beer let alone guitars and bingo drums past their security!

10. Duke of York

I'd say it's an accurate observation, @coffeekid, but it isn't something that bothers me. Madge and I have differences of opinion since the dawn of time. I think he knows as well as I do, that I don't tollerate bullied and if he ever wanted to seriously try it, he'd have the worry of whether he'd be spending the rest of his life getting round on his elbows.

Actually I find it rather flattering that Madge hones in of the threads I start in prefence to others. 90% of what I post is intended to be nonsense, but nonsense that confronts the various wisdoms that end up ruling our lives.

Whether it be absurd political ideology that warrants satire, absurdities in the English languge that can make fools of strict gramaticists or just absurdities in the things that we are led to believe ought to matter, but rarely do in the bigger scheme of things, are in my view, worthy of bringing up for discussion.

Incidentally, Amazon have just knocked on my door to deliver a bunch of headless flowers. Could this also be someone trying to stalk me?

11. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

False. Demonstrably so. Bookies give odds before the first bet is placed. These odds are not random numbers. When all you do is snipe at other people, it would help immensely if you got your fact rights.

peter12171 likes this.
  12. afterdark

afterdark Established commenter

:)

not every plesantry has a pleasant meaning

13. FrankWolley

Haha.... Unfortunately l am getting a ticket from my daughter at the ground after she won 2 at work!! So l can't sell it!

PS l could have attempted a catch at a game a few weeks ago, but commosense prevailed and l got put if the way!

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  14. FrankWolley

Actually you CAN take 4 cans of beer and a bottle of wine into Lord's....only ground tbat is allowed! (No fancy dress though!)

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Best way to watch a test match was TV with sound off and TMS on radio 4

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It depends who is on commentary.

I simply couldn't abide Ed Smith and told Aggers so when he came to speak to us in Barbados. Luckily (or perhaps not) Smith then left TMS for pastures new.

Are we getting Sir Geoffrey back for the Ashes? I sincerely hope so.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really haven't missed cricket on TV since the ECB sold out to Sky.

One of the most short sighted sporting decisions of all time although I guess money talks.

I won't be watching it today either - I'll listen on the radio.

peter12171 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Looks like half the Kiwis don't know the words to their anthem!

19. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I think that’s probably a reaction to DoY’s frequent digs. If you haven’t noticed that, maybe you have DoY on ‘ignore’?

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

One gone!

How many reviews are they allowed?