1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engineering GCSE Double Award - help on hydraulics/pneumatics

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by qnaza76, May 7, 2012.

1. Hi all
    I teach Engineering Double Award GCSE, and we are doing the Unit 1 exam soon and have been working on the Unit 2 Controlled Assessment, focussing on Mechanics, mainly the can crusher theme. Everything's going ok so far.
    Problem comes for next year... we don't have a very strong Electronics area in our school, so that would leave us with Pneumatics/Hydraulics, which I know NOTHING about! Does anyone have any experience teaching that side of the GCSE, and does anyone know of any good INSET in pneumatics and hydraulics? I really am concerned about delivering this side of things.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Hi all
    I teach Engineering Double Award GCSE, and we are doing the Unit 1 exam soon and have been working on the Unit 2 Controlled Assessment, focussing on Mechanics, mainly the can crusher theme. Everything's going ok so far.
    Problem comes for next year... we don't have a very strong Electronics area in our school, so that would leave us with Pneumatics/Hydraulics, which I know NOTHING about! Does anyone have any experience teaching that side of the GCSE, and does anyone know of any good INSET in pneumatics and hydraulics? I really am concerned about delivering this side of things.
    Thanks for any help.

3. Spencer_DT

Spencer_DT Occasional commenter

Hi there, can I ask how many students will be taking the course? Could you not buy/get hold of a portable system/electronics bench, then no need for hydraulics?
    Cheers
    Spencer

4. Simple Pneumatics is nothing to be concerned about. You can construct a simple circuit using SAC's and DAC's with 3/5 port valves. Have a look on www.wisc-online.com Go to learning objects, technical and find Engineering, plenty of flash objects on there to play with.