1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engineering BTEC level 2

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by fkneg1, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm joining a school as an NQT and have been put in charge of the Engineering BTEC. I'm looking at what units to do and how to teach them but am coming up against a bit of a brick wall. Does anybody have any resources or examples of how to teach the BTEC Diploma? I'm looking at just the core modules for now.

Thanks

2. Hi,

I'm joining a school as an NQT and have been put in charge of the Engineering BTEC. I'm looking at what units to do and how to teach them but am coming up against a bit of a brick wall. Does anybody have any resources or examples of how to teach the BTEC Diploma? I'm looking at just the core modules for now.

Thanks

3. re

re New commenter

First choose your modules. We do 1, 2, 3, 10, 14, 16, 18, 19
    Then look at the marking criteria for each and work out how you are going to assess them - you don't have to do separate projects for each module, for instance, module 1 (H&S) can be largely taught through other projects, not as an unsightly lump at the start of the course which will only seve to put them off the subject.
    Look at your facilities - what projects can you make with the equipment to hand? How will the projects match the marking criteria?
    Prepare an overview for yourself and students - cut and paste tfrom the specification what they need for pass, merit, distinction in each module. Put them all onto one side (in small type). Then work out how they are going to generate evidence.
    It's also worth looking at the EdExcel website and download the OSCA 2 materials. If you don't apply yourself for OSCA 2, the training material is revalatory. But I would strongly encourage you to try for the OSCA2 qualification, as it enables you to self- certify and saves a lot of grief.

4. re

re New commenter

And - make sure you keep loads of aper work - BTEC generates it by the bucket load.