1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engaging texts for Year 9 - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'English' started by princess_lola, Jan 7, 2011.

1. I work at a thoroughly comprehensive school for girls. Up until now we've studied Noughts and Crosses in Year 9. We'd like to use a different text this year as N+C has become a victim of its own success - most of them have read it already. Also, it's an epic and we very rarely finish it!

As the new (huge and challenging) specs have come into play, I want to start reading one of the set texts in the final term of Year 9...but I don't think my HOF will go for this. I will suggest it though. If she's not mad for it - does anybody have any suggestions for engaging texts that aren't toooooo looooong?

Many thanks, guys,

Lola...x

2. Coram Boy is 384 pages, Journey to the River Sea is 304?
    What ability level?

3. I should qualify this post before I start by saying that I am not yet an English teacher (I'll be starting my PGCE in September). I have thought a lot about what novels I would like to teach, though, and one that I absolutely love (and so does my Y9 daughter) is The Hunger Games. You may well find that some of the class have read it, but it won't be as widely read as N&C as it only came out in 2007. It isn't short (around the same length as N&C) but gripping enough to be a single-sitting read for your more able pupils. And they'll never be able to watch reality television in an uncritical way again!

4. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Sarah Singleton's 'Century' is a great Gothic novel. My set 2 are gripped.

5. I'm a great fan of Ayn Rand. Unfortunately she's also toooo looong.
    Maybe you could try Ursula le Quin's Earthsea trilogy (it has interesting connections to Harry Potter). She's not as much fun as Rand, however.

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I find that Animal Farm is always a success in year 9.