1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engaging textiles project

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by dons1, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, I was wondering if any of you textile teachers could give me any advice?

I'm new to teaching and have been doing supply since last September. I have recently been covering textiles due to long term illness (my background is textiles). I have found this at times quite challenging; I'm not the students usual teacher, generally some students are poorly behaved and some of the projects are not engaging.
    I have the opportunity of changing the year 9 scheme of work. They have already chosen their options for GCSE and none have opted for textiles (it is not run as a GCSE anymore due to a lack of students opting it). Therefore, I need something exciting yet achievable as most of the students have no interest.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

T shirt personalising. Can be done using fabric paint, appliqué, embroidery, beadwork.
    Belts, involving all of the above plus stiffening.
    Wall hanging for bedroom, their own interests.

3. We have done all of the following projects with year 9:
    Monsters (either making them for children or as mascots) also sock monsters (one boy declared this was his best ever tech project when he finished this week!
    Fleece ski hats - get them to make them in football teacm colours and use embroidery machine to put team name on. They love this.
    Fleece jackets
    Waistcoats - more complex but works well with high ability
    Patchwork - they love this - I just showed them a range of things they could make (quilts, cushions, pencil cases,bags etc) and the different sizes the squares and triangles could be ( we stayed away from hexagons) and they loved it. Cut out masses of designing and let them be creative with fabrics textures and colour- a great way of using up small pieces. One of the silliest boys in my year 9 class made a huge patchwork quilt he got so into it he came back at lunch to finish it. Some boys made ones based on football team colours or their bedroom colours. Was very popular and I am repeating it next term with my next rotation of year 9's. Very good for seam practice too.
    Have done wall hangings but not totally succesful they found the need for accuracy very difficult and also the concept of a wall hanging a bit alien.
    If its Autumn Term you could do xmas stockings with names embroidered and applique on them - my low ability high maintenance group I had in the Autumn term loved this!!
    Anything with computerised embroidery is good. Boys are usually really good at this.
    Also in the past I have mde drawstring bags with low ability high maintenance groups who have loved it. ( we have our classes in ability sets).

4. Thanks. I was thinking something similar to this. :)

All your ideas are great!