1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engaging reluctant Y6 writer in 1-to-1 sessions?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilolme, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Anyone got any good ideas for some 1-1 sessions with a Y6 boy who is pretty disengaged, especially in writing, to get him to improve? I've got 7 of ten sessions left with him - we've talked a lot about writing, and done some descriptive stuff and bits of work on compound sentences, as they were things I knew he was struggling with.

My background is mainly in KS1, so I'm a bit out of my depth. He's working at 3B.

Anyone got any good ideas of how best to use my time with him?

2. Anyone got any good ideas for some 1-1 sessions with a Y6 boy who is pretty disengaged, especially in writing, to get him to improve? I've got 7 of ten sessions left with him - we've talked a lot about writing, and done some descriptive stuff and bits of work on compound sentences, as they were things I knew he was struggling with.

My background is mainly in KS1, so I'm a bit out of my depth. He's working at 3B.

Anyone got any good ideas of how best to use my time with him?

3. Is there a lesson that he does like?
    Find out interests and hobbies...
    Relate writing to these areas for example, if it's football (cliche I know) get him to write a match report and look at some examples in newspapers to get ideas on writing style, vocab etc.

4. Thanks! I had thought about that, but am struggling to find anything he's really interested in! Grrr

A friend suggested some other ideas, so I'll have a go tomorrow and see what happens! Thanks x

5. DFC

DFC New commenter

Does like xbox / ps3. You could use the games as an intro.