1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engaging parents to read at home

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Lintilla09, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Lintilla09

Lintilla09 New commenter

Hi Everyone,

I teach in the Nursery class of a school where we have really low parental engagement. Alongside this, a high percentage of parents struggle with English speaking so I am unsure their reading English ability.
    The head is keen to find a way of engaging parents with reading at home and possibly getting them in to model how to read with their children at home.
    I just wondered if anybody had any success stories of how they involved parents with reading at home and also if anybody has any really good books to send home. We're thinking about possibly using Julia Donaldson.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. learningladybird

learningladybird New commenter

Hi!
    Would the parents reading in their home language work? I saw a video online of a Mum reading a story to a nursery age class in her Home language (they were English speakers) and the kids were enthralled.
    Offer books with no words or put a note in with each book encouraging “reading” the pictures rather than looking at the words.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide