1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engaging 'level 5' maths activities for the whole class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tills, Apr 8, 2012.

1. I have an interview coming up where I've been asked to do an activity for 25 minutes. It adds that many of the children are working towards level 5 in May so this is clearly something they want you to look at.
    Lots of the securing level 5 activities I have done in the past have been small group with lost of discussion and would be inaccesible to the rest of the class so its difficult for me to do a 'tried and tested' activity.
    Any brain waves? I've had ideas but want to leave it open to any maths wizzes.
    Thanks

2. I have an interview coming up where I've been asked to do an activity for 25 minutes. It adds that many of the children are working towards level 5 in May so this is clearly something they want you to look at.
    Lots of the securing level 5 activities I have done in the past have been small group with lost of discussion and would be inaccesible to the rest of the class so its difficult for me to do a 'tried and tested' activity.
    Any brain waves? I've had ideas but want to leave it open to any maths wizzes.
    Thanks

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

How about area? We spent a very fruitful lesson recently where the LA children worked out area using squared paper, LMA group worked out area by measuring and multiplying, HMA group worked out volume of 3D shapes using multiplication for rectilinear cross sections and square counting for others whilst the HA group first found an approximation of pi and then used this to prove the area of a circle. The lesson covered everything from estimating, measuring , multiplying, shape through to geometry and algebra. ( my class does range from level 2 to level 7 though!)

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Really? What age group?

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I teach year 5/6. I have 2 girls in Year 6 working at level 2 and a boy in year 5 working at level 7, with every level covered in between. Maths lessons are great fun[​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL When I read posts/threads like this I'm soooo pleased I moved to KS1.

Last year I had children from levels 1c to 6b. This year they go from 1c to 3c. Life is easier in year 2!

7. musicandmaths

musicandmaths New commenter

If you haven't checked it out already the nrich website will have LOADS of ideas!