1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Engage Education or TimePlan??

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by -cadburys, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Torn between which agency to sign up with..anyone have any advice?

2. dont put your eggs in one baske, use both!

3. But it's the guranteed work/payment scheme so I have to choose one!

4. Oh I cant offer any advice, never heard of either.
    How long have you been doing supply, was it hard to be offered two guaranteed work schemes?

5. I signed up with Timeplan in September. I was asked if I wanted to join the guaranteed work scheme. As no other agencies had found me any work, I agreed. However, the catch was that the scheme only comes into effect when they find you your first job, which, so far, has not happened.
    Engage Education actually approached me, with the usual "We saw your CV on a website and you look to be just the sort of person we are looking for," patter. I cannot say that I liked the sound of the agent involved; he sounded too much like Mat Crawford in the Archers. However, I went along for the interview, got accepted, and that was the last I heard from them.

6. Oh that sounds so discouraging-considering i was going to actually move to London for this! I have told them this-that I can only move for guaranteed work.. I'm sure they wouldn't let me down....?!
    Can I ask you how much experience you have teaching?

7. Dear Cadbury, I have over thirty years experience of teaching maths and science in London schools. I have registered with over twenty agencies since last May and, to date, I have had three days work.
    I would serioulsy reconsider coming down to London with the intention of making a living as a supply teacher, even on a guaranteed pay scheme. As many on here will telll you, guaranteed schemes are very restrictive; you only need to miss a call from them, and they will strike you off the list, as someone wrote only the other day. There is very little supply work going, even in subjects like maths and science.
    Do not be sucked in by tempting words by supply agencies. Being a maths and science teacher, I thought that I had a reasonable chance, but it has not turned out to be so. I have heard so many optimistic words from agencies, none of which bear any relation to reality.
    Read some of the experience of peolple on the Rate my Teaching Agencies site, and some of them were attracted from as far away as Australia and Canada, only to find nothing awaiting them.

8. It means that you will get paid for 3, 4 or 5 days each week, depending on the scheme. However, you have to agree to take any job offered you within a certain radius (usually measured 'as the crow flies', which could leave you with a long and expensive journey, which might not be possible with a late call. As people who have been on such schemes will tell you, you can be 'sacked' from the scheme for very little, and when work gets scarce, such schemes are simply suspended.
    Once again, think very carefully before coming to London, simply on the promise of an agency.

9. Are you mad? Are you really thinking of moving into London to make a living as SUPPLY, an industry already in decline?
    It's not cheap living here you know.

10. lau_bellagamba

lau_bellagamba New commenter

Hello everyone!

Was just looking for a thread about "Engage Education" after reading about them. Anyone has direct experience with them? :)

Thanks!

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Eight years ago, I filled in the online application form for Timeplan, and received a rejection email within seconds of pressing the 'submit' button. I assume something in my application was flagged up as a 'no no'. This might have been age, as a few people I knew had the same experience.

Engage where of the 'much smoke but no flame' variety of agency. It had you faffing about on line, and going to a couple of different offices for 'interview' but nothing came of it.

lau_bellagamba and gingerhobo48 like this.
  12. danielis13

danielis13 New commenter

I did work with Engage about four years ago, they found me a job as a Maths teacher at a local secondary school, who wanted to take me permanently. However, was going to cost the school about £7000 to take me on so had to wait the two terms before being taken on. Never heard from them from one week to another, when I returned to supply I did not sign on with them again.

lau_bellagamba likes this.
  13. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

I didn't think we could talk about agencies:confused:.

14. Mad max

Mad max New commenter

Unfortunately I have to agree with the above. I've had over this period a lot of agencies phone me up with "Potential" jobs.

Caught a few out on lies. Some said there was a job going at an education organisation that had been closed in my area or I knew for a fact from personnel relpies from schools the position had already been filled sometime a go. When I confronted this to one of the consultants they said oh I know but we were just preparing.

I then directed her to rate my teaching agency and they seamed very very sheepish and you could tell they were very very embarrased as others had caught them out on the lie as well. The thing is it takes so long to fill out forms, track ref etc on top of direct interviews that you have to seive out what is what. I am registered already with quite a few agencies locally and some very well known, but you don't want to many as then it can become a nightmare to monitor.

The unfortunate truth is no one really knwos in these such uncertain times what will happen next and agencies/schools/people are panicking and are really worried. My advice is be a descent person. If you treat people right and help them then of course they will come to you in your hour of need or want to join your organisation. If you are dishonest or not 100% transparent then why should people rely on your organisation regarding an aspect of life that is so important I.e. earning a crust.

If organisations can be dishonest or very miasleading about job advertisments and if they even exist, then what are they going to be like when you do actually work for them? Is it worth it? For me I have when there has been no teaching work done anything to keep an income flowing in. As many have said actually basic IT/Warehouse/admin work when you get into it can be very enjoyable and challenging in it's own right and financially lucrative.

I know many on here are passionate, dedicated, qualified and brilliant practitioners who really don't want to give up on there dream career. I have been wanting to be a teacher since I was a kid. It doesn't seam fear, but on the face of it that dream career has to give you the basic most fundamental and elementary reward. A basic salary you can live off. If it does not do that, then I'm afraid all it will be is a dream.

15. kachwalla2018

kachwalla2018 New commenter

I've dealt with both agencies. i registered with Engage and got zero work- but loads of rubbish! Timplane just messed me around with guaranteed work program which never went beyond phone conversations.

lau_bellagamba and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  16. Jolly_Roger15

Similar to my experience with them!

17. lau_bellagamba

lau_bellagamba New commenter

Updates: I contacted Eng. and they said they need GCSEs or equivalent. As I did not complete my education in the UK, I sent them a NARIC comparison statement. They said they would still need an equivalent for English. I told them I have an ESOL (C2) and a CELTA but they didn't accept either of them.

18. Jolly_Roger15

@lau_bellagamba : I am not surprised. Some agencies do not know that O levels were the equivalent of GCSEs.