1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Eng Bacc and short courses in Y9

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by hoof_hearted, Jan 31, 2011.

1. hoof_hearted

hoof_hearted New commenter

My school is going to drop ICT core for KS4, and just put on an option group. The youngsters still need a qualification in ICT though, so we are looking at what courses they could complete in 1 hour per week in Y9. I would be interested to hear if you put your K9 through any qualification?

2. hoof_hearted

My school is going to drop ICT core for KS4, and just put on an option group. The youngsters still need a qualification in ICT though, so we are looking at what courses they could complete in 1 hour per week in Y9. I would be interested to hear if you put your K9 through any qualification?

3. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

We do creative Imedia - though we start the prep in year 8!

4. If you're making ICT optional, why do they *need* an ICT qualification? Surely that defies the point of making it optional!

I appreciate it is, at best, not entirely your decision, but as much as it pains me to come close to agreement with the many (or possibly singular) troll(s) in this place of late this idea of compulsory, trivial (at times) courses - often run during KS3 - is a large part of why students, employers and now the government view ICT qualifications with such disdain. What's wrong with compulsory ICT at KS3 - at which point we can 'teach them some interesting stuff' and maybe even get them excited about the subject and then letting them choose what they want to do after that?

Maybe I'm missing a trick, maybe I'm spoiled (spoilt?) in my environment (I mean that genuinely), but I just don't see that forcing Y9 pupils through coursework is a good thing on balance. As much as I love computers, if you force me through some compulsory death-by-screenshot course for a year or two there is no way on God's earth I am going to take it as an option.

I don't mean to offend, I really don't. Does anyone agree with me?

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Yes, totally, there's no way that I would put KS3 kids through anything but a course that I create myself so that I enjoy teaching it and they learn somehting useful. I don't see pressure on other subjects to generate score counting results form KS3 kids so why should ICT?

6. Go go happy hippy. Good words. The idea of putting year 9s through an accredited course is part of the OCR nationals mindset that has brought all the problems. That bloody course is to ict, what bankers are to the economy. We all have to pay the price for it. Here's an idea ...teach a fantastic and engaging year nine course with no qualification from it. Sanity will reign if we all agree with the hippy.

7. hoof_hearted

I wasn't really expecting this to turn into an anti KS3 qualification rant, but hey ho, thats how forums go. To be perfectly honest, I am in agreement, and the option take up would be a lot greater if we were allowed to create our own courses. In Y7 and Y8 they do all sorts of meaty stuff like GameMaker, Google Sketch up, and basically love it. The trouble is, SLT want a qualification from Y9, surely that isn't just in my school?! The only choice I have in the matter is which accredited course.

8. tonyuk

How does this sound.....Creative IMedia.....

The kids can choose from the following - using gamemaker to create a game, use flash to create an animation, use something like comic life to create a comic book (links with English!!!), Edit digital images, create a 3d avatar for use in a computer game!!!

How much more interesting would you like to make ICT - I fully agrea why take them down a course but actually if they are doing things they enjoy and that switch them onto ICT to take as an option and they get a qualification at the end of it then why not!

9. tonyuk

oops on my spelling

10. That is not the case, over on MFL you will see the same SMT proposal,
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/462793.aspx
    The discussion may head in a different direction. However the basic issue is the same, the priority being to certificate and benefit the school not to educate and benefit the student.

11. hoof_hearted

I'm liking that as my scheme for Y8 is pretty much all of that stuff anyway.

12. tonyuk

hoof hearted exactly have a look at it we do it (admittedly only parts) but teh kids love it and it covers some good stuff (okay not totally office based but at l;east its engaging) and we were the same already did flash and gamemmaker plus multimedia so did not have to do much work to get to where we wanted!

13. hoof_hearted

Thanks Tony, I'm on it!

14. tonyuk

I have posted before that if you have moodle as a VLE I have a moodle course for the flash animation unit if that is of any help!

15. imedia looks great. But isn't there a big BUT. What about the NQF? It has only a few years left on its shelf life right? Great course, but what is the point in delivering such a short lived qualification? Please correct me if this assumption is correct, because I would love to offer it myself.

16. There are several exam boards offering iTQ on the QCF now and there are units covering audio software, multimedia software, video software and imaging software which you could do if you want to do some of the imedia-type topics. Even if students don't complete enough units for the full award, certificate or diploma they will still have the credits and may find these count towards other iTQ qualifications (some iTQ units count towards the Business Skills QCF qualification).
    www.allaboutitq.co

17. tonyuk

Well creative has only just replaced Imedia so it should have a decent shelf life and if some of the areas are already being covered then why not!