1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Enforced' charitable giving?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Nov 29, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I was quite annoyed by this incident on Sunday evening.
    A friend and I had gone to the cinema and decided to go to Pizza Hut afterwards for something to eat. After our meal, we asked for the bill and were surprised to see an additional 15p added to our bill for a charitable donation to some sort of rice appeal for a third world charity.
    Now, I certainly don't mind donating to charity, and I'm not hard up for 15p, but I though it was rather cheeky to just add it to my bill without asking. When we looked at a leaflet on our table (tucked in behind the menus) we found a message telling us that "For your convenience, 15p with automatically be applied to your bill; please inform your server if you do not wish to donate".
    In a more forgiving mood, I might have just overlooked this, but I found it very cheeky that they'd done it. For one thing, if I didn't choose to donate (or, indeed, couldn't afford to) I'd be faced with having to telling the waiter to take the 15p off my bill, which could be embarrassing. If I chose to pay the money to avoid embarrassment, then I have donated under durress and this is not at all in the correct spirit of charitable giving. Finally, I object to the idea that somehow, charging me the money without asking is somehow done for MY convenience.
    I appreciate that there are very VERY worthy charities about that are extremely deserving of my cash, and I'm sure that this particular charity was just as worthy. But surely it should be MY choice, and not just something I've allowed to happen because I too embarrassed to refuse the 15p and didn't want to be gossipped about as I left the restaurant.
    Does anyone else agree? I paid the 15p anyway, but made my feelings known to the server (who, incidentally, just told me that he hadn't personally made the decision....whatever happened to the staff being representatievs of the company and just agreeing to pass on my comments to a manager...is it so hard?)
    Grumble, moan, whinge.....
    Eva xxx

2. fantastischfish

Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I was quite annoyed by this incident on Sunday evening.
    A friend and I had gone to the cinema and decided to go to Pizza Hut afterwards for something to eat. After our meal, we asked for the bill and were surprised to see an additional 15p added to our bill for a charitable donation to some sort of rice appeal for a third world charity.
    Now, I certainly don't mind donating to charity, and I'm not hard up for 15p, but I though it was rather cheeky to just add it to my bill without asking. When we looked at a leaflet on our table (tucked in behind the menus) we found a message telling us that "For your convenience, 15p with automatically be applied to your bill; please inform your server if you do not wish to donate".
    In a more forgiving mood, I might have just overlooked this, but I found it very cheeky that they'd done it. For one thing, if I didn't choose to donate (or, indeed, couldn't afford to) I'd be faced with having to telling the waiter to take the 15p off my bill, which could be embarrassing. If I chose to pay the money to avoid embarrassment, then I have donated under durress and this is not at all in the correct spirit of charitable giving. Finally, I object to the idea that somehow, charging me the money without asking is somehow done for MY convenience.
    I appreciate that there are very VERY worthy charities about that are extremely deserving of my cash, and I'm sure that this particular charity was just as worthy. But surely it should be MY choice, and not just something I've allowed to happen because I too embarrassed to refuse the 15p and didn't want to be gossipped about as I left the restaurant.
    Does anyone else agree? I paid the 15p anyway, but made my feelings known to the server (who, incidentally, just told me that he hadn't personally made the decision....whatever happened to the staff being representatievs of the company and just agreeing to pass on my comments to a manager...is it so hard?)
    Grumble, moan, whinge.....
    Eva xxx

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I hate that too. Those companies will boast about giving money to charities when in fact they've extrated it from their customers. I want to choose who I give to.

4. moggycat

moggycat New commenter

I see your point.
    But the server? mimimum wage, **** hours, difficult customers. Don't get annoyed at them!

5. fantastischfish

I wasn't annoyed at the server. All I wanted to do was to make my point and be reassured that he'd pass my comments to his manager.
    I've worked in retail and customer services jobs. If there was a complaint or a problem, I never shirked responsibility by saying, "It's not MY idea, I only work here". I apologised to the customer, listened to their point and took appropriate action, even if it only meant passing it on to the manager.

6. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I totally agree with you. The amount of money is irrelevant. Whether it is a charity you would normally support is irrelevant. It is not up to the restaurant to add money to the bill - it is for the customer to choose to donate if they wish.

7. Exactly.
    I agree with everything you've said, Eva.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

15p? Life's too short (unless it was a very dubious charity).
    Had it been £15 I might have objected.

9. fantastischfish

I might have actually donated much more if I had been ASKED. Since it was enforced they got only 15p. And it given grudgingly and without the correct charitable spirit owing to feeling I had no choice.

10. 576

576 Established commenter

What is the correct charitable spirit??
    You're right & Pizza Hut were wrong but at the end of the day there will still be food in a hungry person's stomach at the end of it & the spirit in which you give doesn't make a blind bit of difference to that.

11. Like everyone else, I get the point but... 15p? I doubt many people would notice that on a bill, which is possible why they chose that amount. Also, "enforced"? Sneaky maybe, but not "enforced".

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Seeing as 15p is such a trivial amount ... and seeing as it's the pizza restaurant chain that want money to go to that charity ... how about them charging customers the published prices for their food and giving 15p profit form each invoice to the charity?
    If they want to give customers the opportunity to contribute, there could be a space on the bill for customers to add an amount (or a charity box at the till).

13. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

In a similar vein I hate it when they add a service charge...

14. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

I don't know, I don't like the idea in princple BUT I bet those 15ps add up to something worthwhile.

Ad I think there are lots of people who are willing to give to charity but who just somehow never get round to doing so, This kind of helps them on their way a bit.

15. Like Eva, I would have been extremely annoyed. I would have refused to pay it or have paid it under duress, however if it had not been been added to the bill and I had been asked for a donation I would have donated a lot more than 15p, so it makes me wonder how much more money could have been given to the charity.

16. The Pizza from Pizza Hut is vile.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Couldn't agree more.

18. Spot on, lindenlea: one wonders why Pizza Hut don't do it your way.
    Donating to charities via middlemen is always iffy.
    How much of the donation actually reaches the charity?
    Whether it's supermarkets selling 'charity' Xmas cards,
    chuggers accosting you in the street for their commission,
    or pizza house chains adding a 'donation' to your bill (a new one on me),
    potential donors are left in the dark as to where their money goes.
    Does 20% of this 15p 'donation', if added to the total bill,
    end up with the VAT man, for example?
    I avoid this niggling, quibbling, nit-picking by adopting a rule of thumb,
    viz only donate direct to the charity concerned,
    although even this isn't always as straightforward as it might seem.
    Dinkythinkssancarlopizzasarebettervaluethanpizzahutpizzasnom

19. That's what happens when you quote a quote...[​IMG]
    I concur with lindenlea that jubilee's suggestions would be preferable [​IMG]
    Dinkyprefersrealingredientsratherthanreconstitutedmuckonhispizzanom

20. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

I agree with Eva it is not a choice to donate because they know 99% of people would not ask for the money back.
    It seems to be happening more and more. In a toy shop recently paying by card after keying in the pin it comes up that they have rounded up the amount to the nearest pound to support a children's hospital and would I like to donate. When people are in a rush they may pick the wrong button without realising what they have done. I would far rather a collection box on the till which i could choose to drop change into.