1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Enforced attendance at Staff Conference during the summer holidays

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lilysowner, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Lilysowner

Lilysowner New commenter

Hi all,
    Starting a new post 1 September with a MAT. I’ve been invited to the Academy 2 day conference for new staff in another city over the summer holidays and informed that my attendance to it is an expectation of accepting my new job unless exceptional circumstances apply. Can they really do this?
    Cheers

2. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Not sure but academies generally do what they want!

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would go if I were you - otherwise you may find you don't have a job in September.

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

You may as well go. There’s probably a big dinner on the Saturday, so fill your boots. And don’t worry - it’s the last time a MAT will send you on anything.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Can they insist you go? Not before your contract starts unless, perhaps, it is in your contract. Can they withdraw the job offer? In law, I suspect not, but you would have to fight for compensation. Can they give you the minimum notice to leave specified in your contract without you being able to do anything about it? I think so, sadly.

Probably best to go, although I would be furious.

6. Lilysowner

Lilysowner New commenter

7. Lilysowner

Lilysowner New commenter

I wasn’t asking for advice on whether to go. I just wanted to know if they are entitled to force staff to.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's your choice whether you go or not - but MATs are generally not pleasant to work for and they may decide that they want you out if you don't go.

agathamorse and Lilysowner like this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given you have declined, it doesn't seem as if they are forcing staff to go.

A 2-day conference for all new staff in the MAT could be a great thing...give you people to bond with and share experiences later. Many staff attend this or that before they officially start work.

10. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY New commenter

caterpillartobutterfly, you are so positive. But, this is true. Be warned OP, this MAT sounds exactly like the one i worked for which was diabolical. I won't say join at your peril as you may have no choice as it does pay the bills. Technically you should not be expected to do this.

11. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's not really relevant though, is it?
    Catching them out on something they are not entitled to do is not a good start to a working relationship. Who cares what they are allowed to do?
    Think of the result you want, rather than the right or wrong here. Clearly you don't want to go.
    So don't.
    They indicate that only exceptional circumstances will allow non attendance, so if you don't want to go or can't, tell them about your exceptional circumstance.

Cannot think of one?
    Start a new thread "any ideas for exceptional circumstances to get me out of an obsequious get together?"

12. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I’ve found that the main thing with MATS is check the small print in your contract. It’s easy to assume they are giving you standard terms and conditions and discover that you have signed up as one of Jaba the Hutts dancing girls.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Similarly independents...

ATfan, agathamorse and Lilysowner like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Some MATS do rolling 12 month contracts or other nefarious things like that.

So glad I'm on a school that isn't part of one of these.

15. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Sounds like it has been carefully worded "invitation" and "expectation" rather than "requirement", so the answer to your question is of course they can invite and even expect you to attend an event, but they cannot require or force your attendance before you start contract. Not attending is unlikely to endear you to management, but probably would not lead to direct negative consequences

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How do you know that ?

ATfan likes this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

"What a shame that I will be unable to attend because of other plans in the school holidays that cannot be altered! Can I please request copies of any powerpoint slides etc that are generated?"

18. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

A reply that tells them that you 'expect' to be paid for their 'expectation' that you attend, suitably phrased, might be appropriate.

Lilysowner likes this.
  19. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Until two years are up, you have almost no employment rights and after that, somebody on temporary contracts has the right not to be unfairly dismissed.

I used to be on a 12 month rolling contract, but it meant that either side had to give 12 months notice. Meaning that when my office was closed, they had to pay me for 12 months and give me redundancy. Result!

20. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Stop spoiling the fun by actually knowing stuff...

Everybody knows MATs are evil and I’m off to sharpen my pitchfork.

Piranha, ATfan, agathamorse and 3 others like this.