1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Energy provider

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Jan 27, 2016.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Currently with M and S . We are below average users for both gas and electricity. I deliberately overpay and then receive credit ( approx £ 300 ) in April or thereabouts. I know that we are still paying too much to this provider ( £ 200 a year ? ) and wonder if other colleagues can recommend alternatives. Had a long ish conversation with first : utilities last night but I was not won over by the quality of the call. Any comments / advice would be welcome. I have approached M and S about the current tarif. It has alerted me to a one year fix which would give me £ 18 off a year ! plus £ 40 vouchers. Told that they have offers all the time but I need to check the website routinely . ( My last bill ( weekend ) informed me that I could save £ 200 approx by switching tarif - when I asked to do this M and S said it had only been available for a couple of weeks and finished mid December. Yes - well not very helpful !

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

How do you know you are still paying too much? Can you not go with whoever quoted you the lower rate?

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sure that wasn't just the switch window?

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Have a look at 'u switch.' Martin Lewis is always suggesting comparisons, for energy suppliers, bank accounts and so on.

Look at the customer service reviews as well as the tariffs.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Know I am paying too much because even with my 'cash back ' as it were I am still paying £ 887 approx a year . Average users according to the ST for gas is 12 , 000 kHz - we use 8 000 ish and for electricity 3100 and we use 2660 ish. First : utility quoted £ 683 . I know it is a no brainer I suppose to swap but the reviews for first utility for example are not great re customer service.
    Re the tariff change. I think providers have a responsibility to inform you of best deal ? So on my most recent bill online it gave me information about a significantly better tariff with M and S but when I phoned them to change it said it wa no longer available ? I did query the logic of this

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

All Utility companies have time limited special rates. That way they can say that they have market leading rates (temporarily)but don't run the risk of all their customers switching to them!

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Why are you regularly over paying to get credit in April.? Put spare money in an interest paying bank account.
    You are currently giving them a free loan!

racroesus likes this.
  9. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Just swap. What sort of customer service do you need and how much do you want to pay for it. They read your meter and bill your for usage. There's no customer service needed.

colpee likes this.
  10. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Correct . I need to be more proactive and make my money work better for me. Recently managed to get my Virgin bill down by £ 30 so strike while the iron and all that ... Thanks

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think customer service is needed though because if there's a problem, you need someone with some nous on the other end of a phone line.

All of our houses were SSE when they were new. You have to wait a certain time before you can change, which we did and their customer service was poor. Letter after letter demanding money and no understanding of the part that was ours and the part that was the developers, whose finance department was being driven mad on a daily basis by their incompetence.

So, price and customer service are important, I think.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

SSE were truly excellent for me.

With Utility Warehouse now.

14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Who knows the answer to this question?

When you move into a property, the energy supplier for the previous occupant assumes you will be purchasing your energy from them, however if you haven't entered into a contract to buy it from them, can they bill you for what you use? Why should they be entitled to bill you rather than a competitor?

If you don't sign up with anyone, who is entitled to cut you off?

15. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

The previous supplier. Are you sure they don't termiate the supply on change over unless there is sign up?

16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Not in the instance that made me think of this scenario.

One of my residents bought a property on the estate I manage several months ago, but won't be moving in for another few months because she is having some work done on it and wants that to be completed before she lays carpets and so on. She received a bill for a couple of months electricity based on the previous use, but ignored it since she intends to use the supplier she had before once she moves in.

The supplier then sent another bill for some £800, which I am guessing amounts to the annual cost, along with a threat to get a debt collector on her case.

I'm sure the matter will be resolved when she speaks with them, but it seems odd that they feel they have the right to bill someone in this manner, when she hasn't asked them to supply her with electricity.

I can see that they may choose to disconnect the supply until she takes out a contract with another supplier, but that then begs the question of whether a re-connection change will be made.

Just wondering how this stuff works in the brave new world of private energy supplies.

17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Our experience was that we had to go with the supplier used by the house builder for a certain amount of time- until the first bill I think. After that we switched to a different one.

I think that you are contracted to the company until you formally switch and identify he company you wish to go with. It's probably not wise to ignore he bill, but contact the supplier and explain the circumstances , together with a current meter reading. We read our meter monthly and our neighbours all seem to as well.

18. Annarosa1

Annarosa1 Occasional commenter

Which? magazine recently declared Ovo to be the best energy provider.

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Thank for the heads up re Ovo. M and S provider SSE just announced cuts to gas but for us it would be a poor saving. Suspect a switch is the way forward - spreading the love - ha !

20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Ours is Ovo.