1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Energy is generaly the highest non-staff cost for schools. The DfE suggests some schools could make savings of around £35K per year

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tonymillar, Aug 12, 2011.

1. The potential to save money by reducing energy consumption is massive and often not that difficult to achieve.

The following is an extract from the document 'Improving Efficiency in Schools' which was published by the DfE

Energy

There are four important reasons for schools to focus on reducing energy use.

? Energy is often one of the largest non-staff costs in a school. The average cost per school is £27,000, although secondary schools are likely to have bills of over £80,000.

? Schools are using more energy and have been growing their consumption for the last twenty years.

? Energy costs are rising. English schools? expenditure on energy doubled between 2004 and 2009 and costs are set to rise further.

? Schools can help to lower their carbon footprint by reducing energy consumption and contribute to addressing climate change.

The result of a survey commissioned by the DfE concluded that buildings with high energy usage in a 1,000 pupil school could create an opportunity to make savings of around £36,000 per year

To see the full article click this link

I would be interested to hear your thoughts

2. There could now be a fifth reason to save energy as DECC publish a discussion document looking at state schools link to the Carbon Reduction Commitment(CRC). One proposed option would mean that councils could pass on fines/taxes associated with CRC directly to the schools. If this is the case, energy inefficient schools could soon be facing some sizable additional costs.

3. What an interesting document. How typical of a government publication to make a whole range of unsubstantiated statements without a shred of evidence to back up their assertions. There are over 20,000 schools in England, each one different. In the case of my school, I have high energy costs due to the fact I have an old boiler system, and outdated "weatherfoil" heaters. As I am in a Grade11 Listed building I cannot easily change this situation - even if I could afford to. My windows need replacing with modern one which would retain more heat, but the Listed status of the school means that the cost (which I could not afford) would take eons to recover in reduced energy bills.

4. Tom, I don't know if you have seen the post titled 'Updating a listed Victorian building-ideas please?' which was started by Transilvanian in May, if not, it might give you a few ideas. Salix funding comes from the Carbon Trust which is now administered by Siemens can provide low rate or even possibly interest free finance to schools. Very often the savings in fuel costs alone, more than cover the cost of the borrowing. In some cases, return on investment can be as short as 6 months for things like energy efficient lighting. Behavior change can also give some big savings by turning of lights and PC's etc.

With your heating, a biomas boiler could be the solution. Again low cost or interest free funding would probably put you in profit from day one with the reduction in fuel costs.

www.teachshare.org.uk also provides some great free information and resources which will be of use. They can also join groups of schools into clusters to share information and best practice on the subject. The site also provides information which can create learning opportunities linked to sustainability

Help is out there, but it generally isn't very easy to find. If you would like any more information, let me know

5. Tony, being a one-issue poster, as you are, can come across as spam-like. A couple of us have tried to explain the issues that head teachers have, and as much as I appreciate the polite reply you gave me on a previous thread you still don't seem to accept the reality that head teachers are in with regards to buildings. I particularly think that suggesting "sustainable schools" as an ideal first day inset activity for a new head teacher was unhelpful.

6. The Energy Efficiency quest is quite useful to Heads. I've followed up a few suggestions and there is no hidden marketing agenda I can see. I had an Energy Audit for eg after reading a few things on here which was very useful in an impossible old building. Much more helpful than the Head teacher bashing going on in this forum. We've been hijacked by angry teachers! Imagine if all that anger could be harnessed...

7. Transilvanian,There needs to be more Heads like you, demonstrating to others that there are practical ways forwards, even when you have a building which is potentially quite difficult to work with.
    Most recently qualified SBM's recognize that resource efficiency is rapidly becoming an important part of their role and not just a box ticking exercise. It concerns me that the Government is not providing all Head Teachers(that do not have access to a qualified SBM) with the support and guidance that they need to take up this issue so that they are able to reap the financial benefits of its inclusion. Creating learning opportunities from the journey will fall naturally into place if the opportunities are identified and carbon saving will just happen .

8. I have already reduced my energy expenditure by nearly 20% over the past 3 years!
    In my LA boiler replacement is a central responsibility, over which I have no control.
    The cost of replacing all the windows in the school would be around £150k. My energy usage per annum is only £10k so there is clearly no monetary incentive here.
    It seems to me you don't really understand too much just how school funding works as your assumptions are quite unrealistic.

9. Without knowing specific information about individual schools, discussions can only be of a general nature and assumptions do tend to be made. I do however know that there are many fantastic examples of schools that have benefited from becoming more energy efficient by using a vast range of solutions. For the smaller energy consumers those gains are inevitably going to be smaller.
    School funding works differently depending on their status and fortunately not all school budgets are in the control of the local authority. Academies and free schools have also added to the mix, giving schools far more freedom.