1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Energy efficiency and The Carbon Reduction Commitment

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tonymillar, May 2, 2011.

1. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Schools will be significantly affected by the Carbon Reduction Commitment and even though compliance is the responsibility of the local authorities, head teachers and school building managers could have significant amounts of additional work to do.
    The benefit to schools will be that improvements in energy efficiency will present opportunities to save money, in some cases with no initial investment. If school leaders embrace these changes they will not only save money, but will also be able to create new learning opportunities, educating pupils in some of the benefits of environmental sustainability.
    I would be interested in hearing from head teachers who have already started to embrace these changes.

2. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Schools will be significantly affected by the Carbon Reduction Commitment and even though compliance is the responsibility of the local authorities, head teachers and school building managers could have significant amounts of additional work to do.
    The benefit to schools will be that improvements in energy efficiency will present opportunities to save money, in some cases with no initial investment. If school leaders embrace these changes they will not only save money, but will also be able to create new learning opportunities, educating pupils in some of the benefits of environmental sustainability.
    I would be interested in hearing from head teachers who have already started to embrace these changes.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Great! Just what heads were looking for, lots more work.

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We're all too busy writing our energy action plans to respond.

5. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Sharing best practice with other schools will lighten the load and early action will provide easier access to the limited support that is available.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

In respect of the Carbon Reduction Commitment, we have decided to go geothermal.
    Our new coal furnaces are being fitted by Geo Thermal and Sons Ltd.

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I wonder if free schools have to sign up to this too.

8. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

I have now had a response from The Department of Energy and Climate Change about free schools in relation to the Carbon Reduction Commitment which reads as follows:-
    'Thank you for your letter dated 2 May, about Free Schools and the CRC Energy Efficiency scheme. I have been asked to reply.

As you may know Free Schools are a part of the government’s plan to have more services run by communities. As such a Free School would be treated as its own independent institution and so would only participate in the scheme if it met the qualifying criteria. It would not be grouped with a Local Authority for CRC qualification and participation.'

I hope this helps answer your query.

9. Middlemarch

They can chuck out as much muck as they like, then. Splendid.

10. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Most organisations are firstly looking at the financial benefits of becoming more resource efficient. Carbon reduction is a natural consequence of cutting energy costs.

11. Middlemarch

You're not the head of an LA school who will have to do (as you pointed out) a lot of additional work, though, are you?
    You'll forgive those with a lot of work to do already feeling somewhat aggrieved that those in the government's pet schools don't have to do it.

12. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

For the foreseeable future CRC with have an effect on all large organisations and through the local authorities, this will include most schools. Those that will gain from involvement will be the ones that embrace the change and realise the benefits of new learning opportunities and cost savings. A pilot award scheme by Eco Schools has demonstrated that energy cost savings by making simple changes can easily be over 50%.
    I am sure that most heads are interested in efficiently running their schools, so CRC must be worth looking at positively!

13. Middlemarch

I'm afraid raising standards of teaching and learning tend to be their main interest.

14. tonymillar

tonymillar New commenter

Surely, if a school is not efficiently run there may eventually be no place to learn! If resource efficiency saved enough money to employ another teacher for example, then it must also contribute to raising standards.