1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Endurance task' on interview??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hannahnutting, May 7, 2016.

1. hannahnutting

hannahnutting New commenter

Hi,
    Have an interview on Monday for a KS2 class teacher post. One of the tasks listed is:
    "Teaching task with an ‘Endurance Focus’ (30 minutes)"
    It doesn't say I have to prepare anything for this, what could it be??
    This is as well as a formal interview, an interview with school council and a 15 minute presentation on closing the gap between boys and girls writing!
    Has anyone had a task similar to this or could anyone hazard a guess as to what it might be??
    Thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good gracious - I have never heard of that, so look forward to hearing what it is. The only thing that springs to mind is that the class is so awful that normally everyone walks out after 5 minutes, but I somehow feel that is not likely! ;)

Let's see if @Middlemarch @Marshall @digoryvenn or @Jesmond12 have any idea.

Mind you, the whole process looks like an Endurance task. ;) You could try e-mailing and asking what you should prepare for the Endurance Focus class.

Here's a useful post on presentations - ignore the fact that it mentions Headship - valid for any interview. It's nomad's post that is the useful one.

Have you found all the general interview advice articles? Tag me @TheoGriff if not and I'll show you where it is.

Best wishes

3. MrsDrink

MrsDrink New commenter

I read the OP as "You will be required to teach a 30 mins lesson. The focus of that lesson should be 'endurance', i.e perhaps linking it to the impact of nutrition etc on body function."
    When you say it doesn't say you have to prepare anything for this, do you mean it is written in the letter "do not prepare for this" or does it just not say anything? Because if it does mean teach a 30 mins lesson, I would argue it wouldn't need saying, and is obvious you would prepare for it.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I have to admit that I'm clueless.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I have to admit that 'endurance' is one of those words which, if seen in a person specification, would put me right off.

6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I don't really have any ideas either!
    Perhaps it is a PE lesson with long distance running!
    Or they might want you teach pupils the importance of trying hard and perseverance, for example comparing it to Shakleton's journey.

Not much help really! Let us know what you had to do!
    Good luck!

7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Oh, just had another idea.
    Have a look on the school's website because they have to publish details of their curriculum for each year group; their topics might give you some ideas.

8. seismic

seismic New commenter

You could go with anything there. I hate woolly and vague lessons. I'm with digoryvenn though, Ernest Shackleton!

I once got the lesson title, 'innovate' 4:30pm the night before. Delivered in an English classroom to an English teaching group. Shame it was D&T. Kids got a bit confused, especially seeing as Miss, whose class it was, was about 8 months pregnant and thought I was her replacement.

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I can only guess they want you to provide something challenging.

10. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Is endurance another word for perseverance here? Perseverance is seen as a key skill in successful learning so they may be asking you to demonstrate your ability to motivate children through a challenging task? But I would definitely ask. I have a slight 'trendy school' alert in my head......but of course, could be wrong.

11. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

How did it go? Did you endure it???? hoho

12. ashleysummer

ashleysummer New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  13. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's just a guess but you're not a teacher are you, ashley?

14. ashleysummer

ashleysummer New commenter

I'm not a teacher, you're right.