1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ending contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Rapidstar81, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Rapidstar81

Rapidstar81 New commenter

Good Evening
    I wondered if anyone could give any insight as to my dilemma?

II have been employed on a Maternity cover contract for the last 2 months in a school ( there is no opportunity to extend this)
    I have been approached by my Supply agency (who I have previously worked for) to work for them next month at a school I would very much like to work in , in the future.
    This second school has a job opportunity coming up in Sep, and I am keen to apply for this.

My dilemma is, should terminate my maternity contract (will this be professionally unwise?! )
    and pick up the supply
    Finacially, this works out as same rate, as I am NOT being paid to scale on my maternity contract...)
    However, my teachers pension payments will suffer for a month.
    i am aware I may risk losing out on the post in the second school if I do not take up the Supply work.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
    any ways around this?
    Thanks in advance

2. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Stay where you are and then apply for the other job for September.

Jamvic, dts and agathamorse like this.
  3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I agree with @bajan - stay where you are. Who has told you about the vacancy coming up in September? If it's the supply agency, then it wouldn't be the first time they've dangled a mythical carrot at someone, just to fill the supply position in the short term.

Jamvic, sabrinakat and agathamorse like this.
  4. Rapidstar81

Dear all
    Sorry!

I think I was unclear.

The MC ends at May 1/2 term- 24th May
    The Supply work starts 24th April and ends on 24th May

Money is the same- but professionally would it be a very bad idea?

The F/T post at the Supply school doesn't start till Sep and has been advertised nationally.

Therefore, I was wondering whether the Supply may keep me on untiL July.... but they have not come back to me on that yet.
    Trying to secure work, and trying to think long term (fFinances:()

Thank you again all
    RStar

5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Remember Y11 are doing exams so perhaps the school does not need anyone after May 24th. Stay put and apply for September post,.

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you apply for the second short term agency post in the second school which you like, they will automatically be hesitant to employ you as they will have to pay a finder's fee. Irrespective of what happens with your first placement, taking the second one through an agency makes you less viable a candidate to them.
    Confused?
    Here's a tip-if you intend to stay in Supply, stuff all spare cash under your mattress, and get yourself a crystal ball.

Piranha, phlogiston and agathamorse like this.
  7. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Agree with a couple of posters on here, stay where you are for now and apply for the position when it comes up. At the moment, you are on a contract albeit temporary, but if you was to switch to supply teaching, they could drop you with no notice, meaning that you would not be guaranteed an income at all.

Rapidstar81, agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So as I understand it, neither option guarantees you work after 24 May, you won't lose out financially by switching, but the 1 month post at the other school gets your face known for a post that may (or may not) come up for September.

You simply don't know whether your current school will keep you on after 24 May, so don't speculate.

Pension contributions on supply are a bonus, not a given - you just have to live with that. My lost pension contributions on supply didn't amount to much off my actual pension when I took it.

I could be wrong here, but doesn't a finder's fee only apply when the school wants to take you away from the supply agency and pay you directly for the same post? That's what happened when a school employed me directly after 12 weeks on supply. It was actually less expensive for them to do that for the rest of the year.

As I read it, the OP would end the agency contract on 24 May and be employed by the next school from 1 Sept if they get lucky with the job application. In the meantime they could simply resign from the agency, so why would a finder's fee apply? I'm happy to be corrected on that - it's 5 years since I was on supply.

If it was me @Rapidstar81 I'd be tempted to drop the maternity cover and get my foot in the door of the next school, provided finder's fees were not an issue for them. Nothing else is certain beyond 24 May, but at least there's a better probability of a job for September if the next school already knows and likes you. It is a gamble however - a supply contract could be ended rapidly if it doesn't go well.

One thing I wouldn't rely on is for any school to act in your best interests if you're supply or temporary - you have to look out for yourself in the first instance, and base any decisions on that thinking.

artemis81 likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I agree with majority of advice above. Stay in current contract and apply for September position separately.

10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

@magic surf bus having had more recent supply experience, I found it quite common that some agencies have carte blanche to charge a finder's fee on the basis of any subsequent contractual association, since the view is that it is the person they have mediated to you, rather than a solution for one role.
    The only flexibility I have heard of is by striking a deal-school likes a supply teacher, and then offers to agency that they will pay them, say, for an additional six months of their time if they can then be released from the finder's fee. This six months corresponds with the point when they would actually have liked to take the person on contract. From the agency perspective, they still rake it in for little effort.
    Sharks.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

One thing worth considering is your relationship with your current school. Granted that there is no job there now, there may be one in the future and if they like you, your chances of getting it would be considerably enhanced. I doubt if you would make enough impression in the other school in the time you are being asked to work there, so taking that job might not help you get the permanent one. And, as has been pointed out, depending on the school's contract with the agency, there might be an additional cost to them if you have been there on supply.

12. Rapidstar81

Thank you for all your suggestions. i decided to stay with my current school with the Maternity post, and wisely so as it turns out...agency phoned me last Fri before half term to tell me that the agency supply job was now only 2 days per week.
    Phew!
    That would of been a disaster financially, so I am very thankful to you all for your advice.
    Thank you again, and as many of you said, agencies don't think of their clients bigger pictures.
    Rs x

SundaeTrifle and agathamorse like this.