1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End to PPA???!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inadream, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Any more knowledge on this? I keep hearing it too - very curious and concerned!

2. In my understanding, it will no longer be a 'legal requirement'. :(

3. Thank you! :)

4. How do you know this? I cant find anything at all!!

5. It came from my headteacher, who is currently looking very carefully at becoming an Academy School. I was looking at options for next year's classes with him, and we were talking about budgets, and it's going to be up to the individual school, how the budget is spent, with regard to things like PPA - maybe it hasn't been formally written anywhere yet, but in this current climate, I can't see PPA lasting - far too expensive!

6. Thanks for the info, does that mean it wont be a legal requirement for academies, or for all state schools? Sorry if I sound dim!!

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

The goverment wants accademys to negotiate teacher wages indidvidually...its one of their desires, this means teachers might be on lower wages.if indeed they employ teachers in the place.
    It also means they can by default decide upon things like PPA and decide instead for full time teaching an dyou prepare in your own time...as we used to do long before PPA time.
    The whole idea of accdemys are half baked and not based upon education needs but on cost 'savings' and to give power to the people!

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I'm sure that is written in fluent irony??!!
    Academies will indeed be able to choose whether or not to continue with PPA, if they decide not to use the STPCD, which is the only 'regulation' requiring schools to have it in the first place. The STPCD is renewed annually so the government will have a chance each year to make radical changes to our pay and conditions.
    I have argued elsewhere that PPA itself is not provided on educational grounds.
    http://becktonboy.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-have-i-got-against-ppa-in-primary.html

9. I appreciate my PPA, because it gives me time to plan and prepare my differentiated resources etc and to keep up to date with everything. It also gives me that little bit of time where I can think further than what I need to have ready for next lesson/day/week and plan projects more thoroughly. It allows me to withdraw children for individual assessments, which is quite useful when my class have Welsh speaking/reading assessments to do. When I was an NQT PPA time had not been introduced and there was no NQT time either. You were straight into your class full time.
    However, I often feel that the workload has increased quite a bit since PPA was introduced. My SMT are aware that PPA is not directed time, yet we are asked to record what we are going to do (I refuse) and I have lost count of the number of times in staff meetings that the SMT say "You could always do it in your PPA" even when they are subject leader and not class based activities, and therefore neither P, P or A.