1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

end of YR/beginning Y1 - what should writing look like? in forum

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pine_forest, Sep 6, 2011.

1. hello :eek:)
    I am quite new to teaching - last year was my NQT year. I just wondered about writing in Reception and Year 1. I have a child who, at the end of last year, had achieved a 4 on the EYFSP for writing and could just about write a sentence with finger spaces when asked to do so (he did little child initiated writing). I was not concerned about him - he is very young and, like I say, was getting the hang of phonics and sentences. However, I now look at what he is expected to achieve in year 1 and am wondering if I should have been more concerned about his progress? Basically I told his parents I was pleased with his progress, and they became angry that he was going to spend year 1 in the mixed R/1 class with me rather than in the 1/2 class. They thought I should have told them he was 'behind'.
    so what I am asking is.... are they right? is their son 'behind' and should I have been more on the ball with him? What should writing ideally look like at the end of the reception year? I am very concerned about it.
    thank you

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If we accept that a profile score of 6 is "average" (which is open to dispute) and the "average" child enters reception on point 3 of the profile then he is behind

3. thank you for replying. So if you had had a child as I described, would you have told the parents you were concerned for his progress? It just didn't occur to me to worry, which perhaps was wrong. thanks again for your help.

4. Msz

If the child had made good progress I would say so, but I would also say "however he is still not at the level expected of children at the end of foundation stage as this doesn't take into account things age and length of time actually spent in full time school."

5. Thank you for your help. When we had the parents' evening in Aprilish time, I told them I was pleased with his progress, because I was, and I said that the one area he seemed to find more difficult was writing. I suggested he did a little bit here and there at home, but said I was not concerned. Perhaps I should have been more concerned. I will know for this year. I just hope that I have not affected his progress by not telling the parents he had not made the 'expected' progress - they were very cross and said they would have done everything they could have done to help him
    thanks

6. Msz

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. You told them he was finding writing difficult and suggested they did some extra at home and they didn't so the probability is they wouldn't even if you had said he was a little behind.

7. I do feel quite bad about it. Thank you for your advice though!