1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of Year Sports Awards - headache!

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by stopwatch, Jun 22, 2011.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

I have been doing these for XX years in many schools and have NEVER had a year where there haven't been people (ie parents but also children) who feel hard done to/unfairly treated.
    The idea behind it (I believe) is to try and acknowledge the abilities, commitments and attitudes of children at all levels.
    We have just done our first one today at my current school. We gave out 8 individual trophies, and approximately 50 certificates of all kinds/levels. We already have rumblings of kids crying, parents moaning, plus two parents saying they are going to take their kids elsewhere.
    The first phone call came within 5 minutes of the end of the ceremony.
    Is it worth it?!

2. Working with..for stuck up, ex-pat Dubai parents? Of course not. W******s, all of them.
    At least our demographic take it on the chin, partly because they don't care and...
    Well, that's it, they don't care....
    Stoppers - my little bundle is a star still, but gets nothing this year. Am I bovvered?
    However, what do you say? "He/she missed by a whisker..", "If only they had focused on their volleyball a bit more", "Give us a Rolex and they're in.." - ooh, sorry that's where I am!

3. stopwatch

I actually think the Egyptian parents were worse. "I haf money so yu do as i say" "My little star (aka ****) should be your sportsman of the year". "They haf money so they get what they want" mentality.
    To be fair to my parents 99.9% are a good decent (realistic) lot. It's the .1% who have caused the problems.
    (Why can't we just say what we think? - 'your sons a **** and he doesn't deserve it' - end of)

4. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

It comes from a false sense of self entitlement. I teach very similar demographics SW and have to fully agree. Although I would prefer to use the phrase - "your son/daughter was not a strong enough representation of our school, if you let them come to training more regularly they might be able to win it".

I have worked with a couple of major events in the UAE over my time here and every year handing out medals I have to explain that "no you don't get a medal, you did not run..." or "no, your son does not get a medal he did not run..." and finally when I have had enough and its the end of the day "You did not run, how dare you disrespect the people who earned their medal by asking for one!".

Oh the joys of the middle east!

5. Having never gone to a school that took sport seriously myself (and having parents, who value academic achievement much higher than achievement in sports), I do find some parents' obsession with their kids' sports results rather weird and in some cases just annoying. Our certificates will go out on the last day of term and there won't really be any time or point in complaining.
    This week, I had a dad complain that his son didn't get enough playing time at a fixture. His son was fine about it, since I had warned him that this would possibly happen and that he went along as a reserve for one of the other boys. He still had a nice day and enjoyed himself. The child wasn't upset, the dad was. Not sure I want to take him next time, if that's the response, though.
    I begin to wonder how I ever managed to get through school, with parents who believed that I should sort out grievances by myself. [​IMG]

6. stopwatch

Still going on.
    Meeting with one disgruntled parent tomorrow.
    Received email from another 2 days ago
    Comments made about 'parents very unhappy' from other parents.
    Why bother.

7. Unbelievable, Stoppers.
    Doesn't happen here, but if it did, I would not be able to hold it together.
    Do it politely, but 'tell 'um like it is...'
    Remove the awards from next year on with a
    'We are a 'sports for all school'; equal opportunity and equal reward and celebration for our individual's and teams' successes will be celebrated as a school and not as a collection of individuals. Individual achievement is noted but not trumpeted (is that a double t?) - as the muskateers said 'all for one and one for all....

Now, fuck off.''