1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of year reports

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SpideyClaire, Mar 26, 2020.

1. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

We've been sent through our report template and it is the same as every year. I don't think I can accurately assess children as being above/average/below meeting end of year expectations at this stage. I wondered if anyone doing a different format to what they usually do?

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nope, we are writing ours at the moment.
    But we always do them now, so no different to usual.
    You can assess where they are compared to your expectations now. If they are well below now, they aren't likely to be above by the end of the year.

But ask your school what they'd like you to do. Either give predictions or asses against expectations now.

nick909 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Where they are now and predictions for what they'd be at the end of the year under normal circumstances will be broadly the same. As we don't know how long this is going to go on for, it wouldn't make sense for you to assess them now against the end of year expectations as they'll have missed almost half a year's worth of content.

I'm assuming you do some sort of termly or half-termly assessment where you record whether a child s performing at expectations, exceeding, working towards or pre-KS. In which case it would make sense to use the most recent assessments. It's not like they ever change dramatically, for the majority of children!

But of course, as @caterpillartobutterfly says, you must do whatever you do consistently with the rest of the school. Ask your SLT for guidance.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Just in case I'm expected to produce summer reports, I'm writing the personal bit for each child now because I'm worried I might forget stuff about how they cope(d) in my class - their friendships, independence etc. It's only been a week or so but I feel I'm forgetting the little things about them already. My memory is quite poor, in my defence.

I personally don't expect schools to re-open until September at the very earliest now, so wonder whether I'm wasting my time doing even this much. I mean, what things of worth would you say? We've really only just sent out our mid-year reports, and the amount and quality of information I'll be able to gather on them for the rest of the year is dubious to say the least! Some children aren't engaging with any online learning yet and may continue not to do so (not necessarily anyone's fault - online learning opportunities must differ greatly between homes) so for some children I can't see that I'll have anything more to add to what I said in February, when our reports go out in July. What I'm going to say for the "Personal highlights of the year" for these children is anyone's guess!!

My SLT, however, still imagines we will be back to normal at some point after Easter, and wants us to beaver away at pointless clerical tasks as though everything is fine & dandy. Desperately naive, wishful thinking in my opinion. Our time would be better spent supporting our parents with ideas for home learning.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed and how to incorporate it into 'everyday life' and not just 'formal learning'

nick909 likes this.
  6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

@Grandsire you’ve inspired me, I’m going to write all the personal comments tomorrow! I agree with you, the longer we are off the harder the task will get!

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

If we are off beyond May it’s doubtful I’ll even remember their names :D:D:D

8. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

THat's a really good idea. I'll write the personal comments this week. Luckily we had PArents Evening a couple of weeks ago so I have lots of notes from then.

1 person likes this.