1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

end of year gifts yr5/6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, May 31, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

ive done a search on here but nothing is inspiring me. Ive got a 5/6 class and am thinking about what to give them as a leaving gift, particularly my y6's. Anyone got any great ideas on a budget? i was thinking bout a CD of their favourite music with a class photo on the front, but a lot of their favourite music has explicit lyrics i wouldnt be able to use!!!!
    any ideas

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

im going to do personalised mugs. going to buy cheap white mugs from asda or similar, then write each childs name on it and class name and year. with yr6's ill write a little message on it and give them name to sign each others etc
    what do u think

3. I think it's a lovely idea but tried something similar for my daughter's birthday party and, although I'm quite arty, I really struggled to write nicely on the mugs. It's trickier than it looks, even with the ceramic pens - they're thick and can drip. I recommend you do a trial run before getting all 30! The ceramic pens and paints are quite reasonable from Baker Ross. Could you turn it into an art lesson over the last week and get the children involved? At least then you could spend a bit longer on each mug during the lessons rather than trying to do them in the evenings. Good luck!

4. I like the mugs idea.
    I wouldn't do the music idea, as unless you wanted to purchase each track 30 times for each child, you'd be breaking copyright.

I do a photo CD for year 6s when they leave - I ask their previous teachers for photos right from their first year of school.

5. Perhaps if the mug idea doesn't work, as it sounds like it could be difficult for some children, you could try plates instead.
    I love the idea of allowing them to personalise their gift and have something to really look back on fondly.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How about a set of decent handwriting pens. My high school children are always looking for pens.

7. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Will you be paying for these gifts yourself,, or will school provide the funding?

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My thoughts exactly.
    I've never given gifts to pupils and am not keen on the idea at all.

9. For my Year 6s I organised personalised hoodies (with name of school/year/names of all Year 6 pupils on the back) that they had the chance to buy (all did) and I organised a night out with them to a local Pizza Hut and cinema, not paid by myself I hasten to add!
    To take home, I chose a favourite picture of them all and made fridge magnets and I too made a cd of photos taken throughout the year - cd were put in a case with a picture of them imprinted on the cd itself.