1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of year gifts: what is the best and worst present you have received from pupils?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 18, 2019.

1. sagesund

sagesund Occasional commenter

Many years ago, I worked in a primary school in a very deprived area. Towards the end of the Summer term, one of my pupils came in late one morning ( he was a habitual latecomer) bearing a lovely box of chocolates. I was rather suspicious as to how he'd acquired them. At lunchtime one of the parents reported seeing him running down the road, chased by an angry shopkeeper! I handed the chocs to the HT for disposal!

2. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Yes - a well written card is enough for me. The gesture is the most important act.

Worse gift: a card with lots of awful spelling mistakes and Americanisms.

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

A teacher friend of my daughter's was given a tester bottle of perfume one Christmas!

nizebaby likes this.
  4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

One of the better things about working in a boarding school is that pocket money has generally run out well before the end of term, so money is not usually wasted on presents, good or bad.

5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I got 13 different gin based products yesterday. Happy days!

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A friend who worked at the International school in Monaco got a Prada handbag from one student. She returned it to the shop for a E1500 refund!

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Good of the student to include the receipt with the present.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My best present ever - no question.

I had a lovely form from 2003-2007 (the only form I've ever had for all 5 years) - we had a great relationship and they were a pleasure on PSHE days.

One of the girls was a talented artist and cartoonist - she drew a cartoon of everyone in the form and got everyone to sign their cartoon. She got this framed and in addition did a smaller design that was printed onto a huge coffee mug.

I still have both and will never drink from the mug.

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I never got one, as far as I can remember. :(

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

What a contrast to the next form I had (for three years).

A listless, unenthusiastic, negative bunch of kids who would do nothing I asked them and would never lift a finger to do anything for anyone.

We fell out big time in the second year I had them when we had "international day" - every form had to make a stall and produce a few things to make a bit of money for good causes. I knew they wouldn't do anything for themselves so I made them a covering for the stall and supplied them with everything they needed. It cost me money and time to do this. Got a few of them to agree to help out.

On the morning of the event I gave them all the stuff and then when I went over at lunchtime - our stall was an empty table - they hadn't even bothered to turn up (the only form that did this).

I had a right go at them the next day and I never helped them again. When I left them a year later they couldn't even be bothered to get me a card.

11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Many years ago, I was given a very large garden gnome … it was a 'baby' gnome, sucking a dummy and wearing a nappy, sitting on a toadstool!!! I wondered if there was a hidden meaning there - but if there was, I didn't get it. It lived in the shed for quite a few years; I didn't dare even give it to the local charity shop as we lived in quite a small village at that time.