1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of year gifts: what is the best and worst present you have received from pupils?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 18, 2019.

1. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The cards are what I've kept over the years. (and the LPs of Mozart string quintets, the CD of the four seasons from a boy who needed a lot of support).
    The bottom line is that it's always lovely when someone realises you've done enough for them to thank you.

agathamorse and nizebaby like this.
  2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I have never received a gift from any students at the end of the year. Nor would I want to. That's not what I was there for. I got paid for doing my job, and the only 'gift' I wanted was for the kids to make progress, learn, grow, be happy, and do the best they could.

That said, I met an ex-student in town, two or three years after he'd left, and asked how he was doing, and congratulated him on having a job etc. (as you do) and he said - quite unprompted - "I was a little sh#tbag bag then, wasn't I, Miss" and I laughed and said "yes, you were" (he was!!!) and he said "sorry about that."

Now, THAT was one of the best gifts any student could ever have given me - the proof that he'd grown up and turned into a thoughtful and more sensible person.

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I hate all the 'Best Teacher' sh1te you get in Primary. Last year I was given three personalised wine glasses, two of which had the incorrect spelling of my surname on them. I also received a couple of framed certificates for being the best teacher ever. I give everything to a charity shop on the way home,but bin all the personalised crap.

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have a lovely framed picture on my wall. It has my name in the middle. Each child had thought of a word to describe me / my lessons and the words are arranged round my name. It was from my nursery class. I know a parent must have organised it, but I was very touched. I love handmade cards and messages, but any present is lovely and a kind thought from the parents/ children.The only things I recycled were scented candles as I'm allergic to them.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. sparklepig2002

Aww. That's a shame Lardy. It's the thought that counts. :)

6. sparklepig2002

Oh I don't know. A verbal "thank you for all your hard work" is quite nice.

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I don't think much thinking goes into all the Best Teacher stuff, though. Parents buy it because they feel obliged to. I really wish that the parents would make a donation to charity instead if they really wanted to show their appreciation.

8. sparklepig2002

That's lovely, Monica.

9. sparklepig2002

That's a good idea. :)

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

TES did an article on this some years back and I featured in it. I will search for a link

11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

That sounds like the prizes on offer on Bullseye!

Mangleworzle, agathamorse and knitone like this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

sbkrobson likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When mrs b worked in an indy she would need 2 trips in her car to bring everything home!

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you, I enjoyed reading it.

My favourite gift mentioned?
    "a bottle of scotch with the security tag still attached"
    They say it's the gifts created with added effort that count most, so that would make me feel really special.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's always a relief when someone spots my obscure references, stops me from just seeming weird :D

Jesmond12 likes this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Well, you got them and you flaunted them.

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

It's amazing how many do.

monicabilongame likes this.
  18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yeah, Maleficent was always overloaded.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Weird is fine.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

For the last 2 weeks of term (she broke up before me) our living room resembled a florists shop. We had to borrow vases to put them all in. Enough chocs to cause diabetes and enough perfume to open a duty free shop!