1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End of year gifts: what is the best and worst present you have received from pupils?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 18, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

What is the one gift that teachers want at the end of the year? Which presents are memorable for all the right or wrong reasons?

Apparently, most teachers just want a note of thanks or a personalised card from pupils:

https://www.tes.com/news/revealed-one-gift-teachers-want-end-year

Do you agree? Share the gifts that you have received over the years.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I have received malt whisky.

3. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

On a few occasions have received a nice bottle of wine from year 13 students. I am very happy to get a card . Its nice to have your efforts appreciated and a few sincere lines are very welcome

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

One of my pupils gave me a framed school photograph of Herself. I remember thinking at the time I hope all 30 of them don't do that!

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Secondary teachers rarely get presents. That's a Primary teacher's game. Saying that, I won't buy my child's primary teacher a present, ever. None of them have been that special. Neither will I chip in for the comunal present (GOD knows what they end up buying with a fiver or a tenner from each kid's parent. That's about 250 quid) A card, with a message of thanks from the child is enough. Or am I wrong?

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

They don't give a flying one. That's the last thing on their mind at the end of a school year.

lilachardy and knitone like this.
  7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I've had a variety of gifts over the years and couldn't possibly decide on a 'worst'! The 'best' (in monetary terms) was a £50 Debenhams voucher as a communal present.

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

As a non-drinker, bottles of wine were enjoyed by my husband rather than me. Chocolates, unless they were classy was ok, but I have expensive tastes in chocolate. Flowers are always lovely and a card.
    A book token! My favourite thing.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

lt really is the thpught that coynts. I received a bottle of "Obvious" scent that smelt truly dreadful. It remains the favourite (don't want to say best) present I ever received. Lovel little girl whose family didn't have much money.

10. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Surely a gift should be taken in the spirit in which it is given. Labelling presents as ‘best’ or ‘worse’ seems rather unpleasant.

11. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Many years ago I taught a small "special" group of Y11s. There were only five of them. They gave me a print out from the photocopier where they'd all rammed their faces squashed onto the copy plate. It was visually beyond grotesque, but such an, erm, interesting result that when our old crazy in the department left his job after forty years there, we decided to make him one of these as a department. Well actually we had to make four of them, as it was a large department. We shared out chewing gum first because the proximity could only be horrifying. (It was.) Rewriting intimacy, we were not used to deep sniffing the hair of people who we had otherwise only ever planned lessons with.
    When we gave him the images he grumbled "berluddy political correctness. In my day it would have been your backside".
    We missed him lots.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

So have I plus gin and some indescribable bottles of wine.

The best present I ever received was a large model of an SType Jaguar. It was the same as the car that I owned and the family said that they had visited a “few” toy shops to find it.

Mrs J and I once received 20 identical “Best Headteacher” cards between us. We turned them into bunting which we hung up in the dining room.

racroesus likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I received a few bottles plus gin and some indescribable bottles of wine. The best present that I ever received was a model of an S type Jaguar which was the car that I owned at the time. The family said that they had visited a “few” toy shops to find it.

Mrs J and myself once received 20 identical “Best Headteacher” cards between us. We made them into bunting and hung them up in the dining room.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Precisely

agathamorse and nizebaby like this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You're saying some teachers receive gifts from their pupils at the end of the year? Seriously? Cripes.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Wrong for the areas I worked in-always got lots, some weird and wonderful, perhaps I tended to get a lot as I often worked in 'deprived' areas? Maybe that's why.
    Again, I'd always get my children's teachers pressies, box of chocolates, wine/handcream. Boring I know.
    Maybe it's a northern thing, I don't know anyone who didn't really.

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A speedboat a caravan and a nylon dressing gown, this was back in the 70's.

cissy3, agathamorse and sbkrobson like this.
  19. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Once I had present of a set of individual messages from a fabulous class, all indivudally made and collected together.

Also had chocolates, ties, a whacky shirt, lucky charms and finally quite a lot of handmade cards with multiple messages in.

I rather enjoy the handmade cards, my spouse wants to get rid of them; but I cannot bear to.

Lucky charms have proved rather ineffectual with regard to winning prize draws but never mind.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

The thought is always what I appreciated. The actual gifts a little less so.
    In fact, on reflection, the nicest thing I ever had was from one of my forms who had collated a folder of our time together, with messages and photos and reminders. They must have spent hours on it. It's on my shelf now and has lasted much longer than almost anything else, and given much happiness.

afterdark, agathamorse and knitone like this.