1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

End Of Year Gifts From Students

Discussion in 'Personal' started by danpardoe, May 19, 2016.

1. danpardoe

danpardoe New commenter

Hi all,

On a light and positive note, what's the best/worst gifts you've ever received from students at the end of the academic year?

I once got a watch which was rather marvelous but last year was so bad I bought myself a 10p "No. 1 Teacher" cactus from Tesco in August (true story, here's proof: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8sDT6QoBSA4Mz8TWs2oUi6LzPyIj921d!) .

I'm up to one card and one box of chocolates this year, what about the rest of you?! :)

Danny

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ask me at the end of the year.

peggylu likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A few years back my photo graced the front page of TES with a selection of neck ties, many of which had been given to me by students.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I'd prefer wine, thanks!

5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The most thoughtful gift was given to me at the end of the summer term just after I'd been given a cancer diagnosis. My lovely A level group clubbed together and got me a couple of beautiful silk scarves (in case of hair loss), a little jingly heart and a set of Guatemalan worry dolls. I've still got them, nine years later.

6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

peggylu likes this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Students give end of year gifts to teachers? Seriously?

Maybe they handed mine in to the office and the office forgot to pass them on. Yes, that'll be it, they'll all be in a big dusty box in a stationary cupboard somewhere. [Cue violins].

I was always disappointed I never got a tea mug saying "Worst teacher ever". Maybe I should manufacture them and make my fortune from others' discomfort :)

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Primary aged pupils sometimes make cute little presents for their teachers that are most touching. I have kept those.

Their parents, however, can be gloriously generous or outstandingly stingy. A friend once taught in an independent school of high repute, and was given a £2.99 supermarket pot plant on its last legs from a millionaire media mogul parent as thank you gift. I suppose it's the thought that counts!

My worst present was a passed-on pair of earrings (for pierced ears, which l don't have). The inside of the box still contained the message from the original giver, they looked worn and it made me feel queasy. Not the child's fault.

My most generous present was a three-figure fountain pen which is far too grand for my scribbly handwriting.

sabrinakat and rachelpaula008 like this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Oh yes, I get them too - all the time!

Is this not a bit of a popularity contest, as well as judging who works in a wealthy catchment? Maybe that's just the envy of Secondary school teacher who rarely gets end of year presents!

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Never received one...

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I suppose it could look like a popularity contest :(.
    Thing is that whilst I got some nice, inexpensive, thank you presents I would have much rather just had a heartfelt 'thank you' as they left the building for the last time. I suspect that's what most of us would appreciate most.

13. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Secondary teachers don't get such things. Kids doing well in exams is reward enough.;)

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Maybe that was why he was a millionaire-kept his money under lock and key!!

One of my brothers taught in an independent school and could not believe the gifts he was given at Christmas and Summer. It was obvious that some parents tried to outdo each other so when bro realised this, he stopped being embarrassed!! He seldom had to buy wine as he received it by the half and full case and, as a chocolate lover (he has the physique of a match stick!! :mad: ) he had enough to stock a shop!!

I taught in the public sector and did receive some unique, quirky and just plain odd presents over the years!! I do find it a bit sad to see 'Best Teacher' mugs in Charity shops though. :(

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A colleague who left to work in an International school abroad was once given a E1500 Prada bag by one student!

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have a set of Santa napkin holders that were made by a pupil and given to me at Christmas 20 years ago. We use them every year on Christmas day. I had another pupil whose parents ran an off licence so presents were regularly bottles of wine or occasionally whisky!

rachelpaula008 and RedQuilt like this.
  17. blade68

blade68 New commenter

One of the few I ever got was very early in my teaching career and was simply a card that read "thank you for being a *******".

RedQuilt likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The worst was given to me by a parent, also a Reception teacher, who gave me, via her son, a bookmark she had been given by one of her own class - it still had her name 'love from' the other child written on it. I never expected gifts and was sometimes embarrassed to accept chocolates etc. from parents I knew could ill afford it but that was taking the proverbial!

19. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

My best present wasn't at the end of term. It was at the end of a truly awful day at school. After school I had an extra lesson with a lovely class and at the end of that, the parent of one of them arrived at the classroom door with two bottles of wine 'for being such a good teacher' or words to that effect. He couldn't have picked a better day - suddenly all the management induced stresses didn't matter any more.

I never was sure whether it was just coincidence that he chose that day or whether it was done specially because the students could see how much I needed cheering up.

sabrinakat and rachelpaula008 like this.
  20. CaptGrimesRetd

CaptGrimesRetd Occasional commenter

We were often given a brace of grouse in the season.